• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R80RT ???

MarkF

OK I've read the previous posts. Now I'm asking. I'm thinking of adding an airhead to the garage. Looking at earlier R90RTs. Any reason to get a monshock over the dual shock? Anything else about the 1983 R80RT I should worry about? Thanks.

MarkF

P.S. I know I drool over the R90/100S but my Oilhead has an S fairing and I would like a more all weather ride. The RT might be it!

What I like about my monoshock bike:

- Easy tire changes
- No rear wheel bearings to wear out
- One shock is easier to adjust than 2 :D
- Stiffer K bike front fork with brace
- No rear wheel splines to wear out

I'm sure the two-shock folks have their preferences as well.

Kinda new around here,..but for what it's worth...

I purchased my first BMW a year ago. 1984 r80rt. I put 7k miles on it and didnt even change the oil. All I did was put air in the tires and keep the battery full. I rode it through torrential Florida rains and Sunny hot afternoons as well. Can't say I have ever had a bad ride! I have the 21" winidshield on mine with full fairing. In light rains , without stopping for any red lights, I can honestly say I never got wet below the shoulders. Nice bike. Starting to look at minor maintenance tasks now, maybe some new fork seals, possibly front pads( havent checked them yet). I just took the tank off the bike, to expose a pretty dirty engine underneath. I took off the lower fairing and am in the process of cleaning up a little. Also replacing the air filter. I think the one on there is the stock filter from BMW.

Tony

R80RT

Mark,

A couple of "bikes ago" I had an '83 R80RT. It was a very enjoyable motorcycle. I still feel that the weather coverage was better than either my K100RT or my K1100LT - loved that fairing.

My "repair" experience included:

- Learning to be very careful about checking / adjusting the valves at every service. On "mine" the combination of 1983 valves (and seats) and the available gas made this as important as changing the oil!

- Spline lube - do it!

- Some examples (mine) had "weak" rivets in the clutch basket (flywheel). Repair of a "failure" can require replacement of both the clutch and the transmission input shaft.

- Bearing failure in the final drive (still believe that might have been caused by a "wheel issue" that was caused by an improper maintainence proceedure - some day I'll tell you a very exciting story).

- Being equipped with both crash bars and an oil cooler made oil changes a pain (removal of exhaust system or very slim fingers was required).

The next owner (the son of a friend of mine) did have to have the heads rebuilt around the 100,000 mile point because of valve and seat wear.

I only sold it due to a serious case of new bike fever!

Don

Back