• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Beerteams travel photos of Wisconsin- comment

mrocket49

81' R100RS
After looking through the photos of Wisconsin I can't wait to get out to the midwest and to the rally.
I'll be travelling from Connecticut but I'll be going to Iowa first to visit family for a couple days, then going on to the rally. It's 1200 miles to Iowa and then about 200 up to West Bend. That will be the most miles I've ever gone on a motorcycle, not to mention a 25 year old one!
If anyone else is heading out that way on the Saturday before the rally, It'd be nice to share some of the miles. I'm taking the dreaded Chicago route to go but will probably come back on one of the lake ferries:thumb and up through Canada.
See you all out there!
Mike :thumb

After looking through the photos of Wisconsin I can't wait to get out to the midwest and to the rally.

Last Spring I got a S70 & A610 Canon pocket cameras, and a Smugmug account. I really did not know what to take pictures of, beside BMW events and my upcoming five week Labrador summer vacationhttp://klasjm.smugmug.com/gallery/1682014. At the same time the BMWMOA National Rally was announced down the road from me, at which time Sue asked a bunch of us locals to take picture of Wisconsin for her video she wanted to make. http://www.beemerhill.com/OTRA.wmv.

Well, one picture lead into another, and suddenly I have a good collection of Eastern Wisconsin photos. I would not of taken any photos of the area if Sue would not of asked for the shots for her video. I think most anyone in America could also take a zillion interesting shots near their homes if they wanted to. You have to look at the picture I have taken as a travel brochure. In my opinion, this area of Wisconsin is not as beautiful as Vermont and some other areas of the country, but I would say it matches quite well with most other areas of the country.

One plus, is the traffic is not as heavy as the East Coast, which makes for enjoyable riding. I would guess two days of nice riding would make for a nice riding Rally experience and West Bend to Cedarburg, then 10 miles to the Lion's Den with it's unique vegetation, wildlife, bluff and beach. It is very hard to get lost on the route as when you get to the Lake, make a left and keep the lake on your right. I enjoy the Lake Michigan Circle tour, which you will catch at Port Washington, then north to Sheboygan, Manitowoc, and Two Rivers. More great riding to the north to Kewaunee and Algoma if time permits. I make a yearly ride up to Door County, but with traffic, it is a very full ride from West Bend. If you choose not to do the Lake Michigan Circle Tour head over to Northern Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive and Elkhart Lake. Some nature lovers might like the Horicon area, and everyone will enjoy the roads around Holy Hill.

Here is the link to the Wisconsin photos: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=14771

Inside Cabella's West Bend store

125363807-L.jpg

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the photos and descriptions posted. This will be the first rally for my Wife and I. The photos and info give us some idea of what to expect from teh area as well as an insiders view of what to look for. I think the information will allow us to have a much better time. Thank you.

From Iowa to West Bend

If you are traveling to Iowa before the Rally, you can easily avoid Chicago, though it is not really necessary to go QUITE that far out of the way.

I would recomend anyone approaching from the Iowa area (or any SW 2/3rds of the country) consider a final approach though Iowa's Amana Colonies along Hwy 151, entering WI at DuBuque Ia. Then following Hwy 18 West. 18 Paralells 94, so if you get tired of scenery, you can quickly jump on the slab.

Barring the DuBuque Approach, Swing West of Chicago to Hwy 39/90 (or any scenic paralell) through the Rockford area.

I really appreciate all the photos and descriptions posted. This will be the first rally for my Wife and I. The photos and info give us some idea of what to expect from the area as well as an insiders view of what to look for. I think the information will allow us to have a much better time. Thank you.

When the announcement of West Bend MOA National came about, there was some grumbling about it being in a boring area. I not only hope, but think this Photo Tour helped people see things differently. This area of Wisconsin does not have the majestic scenery of Colorado or the quaintness of Vermont. It is rural and urban, many times right next to each other. It does have history, although not as deep rooted as the New England Colonies and the South. This area has the Kettles, with Elkhart Lake in the north and West Bend/Holy Hill in the Middle. South there is Milwaukee, which it's traffic not bad for an urban area. If you don't mind bigger cities, Milwaukee has so much to offer. Our area have the Horicon Marsh, EAA, farming, and the Great Lake shore which together is a recipe for some of great Midwest flavor.

When you visit us, and you do not go to the Port Washington's Lion Den County Park, you are missing one of the Midwest best kept secrets. The Photo I took of the Lions Den do no justice to the Park. The lighting situation were not ideal as the sun was setting. My walk thru the Park kicked up some deer and some gaming birds, all which scared the snot out of Buddy. You need to visit that Park! I plan on going back to explore the park in it's spring greenery.

I lived in this area all my life. Earning a Million Mile Award in just over twenty years, I seemed to in the past, hurry by many of the objects in my backyard. By taking these camera rides, and checking into the history of the area, I felt like I was exploring our past. It is fun project. I can't wait till the weather clears.
Cabella
127041508-L.jpg

Cabella's Lunch Room
127041248-L.jpg

Back