• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Has anyone ever heard of these?

R

rvbeemer

I have come across an "S" fairing with some winged mirrors on it. The buttons on the outside of the mirrors say " Talbot Berlin". I also came across some lowers that have a single tube brackett that appear to bolt to the down tube under the tank. No markings or id's on these. I think I've seen some of these before. Has anyone seen either of these items and know the story behind them? Thanks
Ronnie

I googled Talbot Mirror and found quite a bit on them...nothing specifically for S fairings, but they seem to make mirrors that appeared on many race cars, etc.

Kurt,
I had the same results. That's why I'm trying to pick some Airhead knowledge.
Ronnie

Lowers

I have been looking for a pair of lowers for my /5 to go with a wixom handel bar faring. So I would also like to know about them.
Thanks Brian

I have come across an "S" fairing with some winged mirrors on it. The buttons on the outside of the mirrors say " Talbot Berlin". I also came across some lowers that have a single tube brackett that appear to bolt to the down tube under the tank. No markings or id's on these. I think I've seen some of these before. Has anyone seen either of these items and know the story behind them? Thanks
Ronnie

Ronnie,

I recently found an S for sale in Vancouver that had what the seller claims were optional factory hand guards (bubbles) and lowers for the S faring. Not sure if they were the same name as you spec or not. Had never heard nor seen them before or since.

Years ago, there was an outfit called Tefco which made bolt on lowers, actually leg shields. I used to see them at rallies (Oshkosh '76). Urals have an inferior type,IMHO, which they use on their farm implements.

Woodgrain

I have seen some pictures of that fairing before. It looks very different. I have seen one on sale on ebay before. I want to say if you google BMW Airhead pictures you will come across it on a British website. Good luck.

rare an hard to find aftermarket parts , that actually look good!!! gives a touch more than the little air pocket a S-fairing gives, takes some of the air blast off the hands...

The Talbot mirrors were sold by Krauser; I believe Krauser organised the manufacture of the curved bolt-on section and bought the mirror heads from Talbot. The installation of these required that several holes be drilled in the edge of the fairing. Krauser also sold a "unique" looking windshield for the "S" fairing and later, their own S-type fairing.

There were several manufacturers of leg shields; Tefco's were intended to interface with a Windjamer style fairing. Rennsport, a company in Texas, buillt a fiberglass leg shield which dovetailed nicely with the "S" fairing. They also made some neat handguards for the "S" fairing, as well as the only working two into one exhaust for BMWs.

Sounds right

The Talbot mirrors were sold by Krauser; I believe Krauser organised the manufacture of the curved bolt-on section and bought the mirror heads from Talbot. The installation of these required that several holes be drilled in the edge of the fairing. Krauser also sold a "unique" looking windshield for the "S" fairing and later, their own S-type fairing

Lostboy,
This sounds like what I have. I don't know if the fairing is a BMW or Krauser. I'd have to put it up against a real BMW S fairing to tell. The windsheild sure looks different to me kind of like a cockpit. Wish I knew how to post pictures. I did half way install it on my R100S (no fairing) just to see what it looked like as it had all the mounting hardware. It looked interesting so I went ahead and fully installed it and took it for a spin. I like the way the mirrors work, much better than long stem mirrors but don't care too much for the wind protection or lack of. Looks pretty good.

Has anyone heard of these?

Those are the Talbot/Krauser mirrors. And the handguards are the Rennsports. Cool find!

Yep, I got the mirrors but not the handguards. I wonder when they quit selling these items?
Ronnie

Talbot Berlin Mirrors

Ronnie

Do these mirrors conform with the curves of the sides of the fairing? They should start a little wider at the top then taper down to nothing at the bottom? Looking at the side of the fairing the mirrors would have a sort of "C" shape! Do you want to sell them?

Krauser Mirrors

RVBEEMER:

The mirrors and the lower fairings are probably Krauser. They are very rare.

I had an S fairing on my '76 /6. It was white with blue striping and a tall tinted windshield. The mirrors were dark blue. Might be the same one.

Jordan

Dry Legs...

A product name, perhaps for the leg shields made by Tefco, was "Dry Legs". They mounted by a single tube and clamp to the forward main frame down tubes below the tank. Fit nicely with Vetter / Luftmeister and even looked ok with the "S" fairing. Even better, they worked~!

Hand protector mirrors

In a Beach's add, 4-79 BMWNews, they are listed for sale at $82 for the S-fairing along with some other cool stuff.

Back