• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MotorcycleLift Table...Atlas vs. Handy

bobframe

I am seriously considering buying a motorcycle lift table and want to buy a good quality table. I have narrowed it down to an Atlas table (Greg Smith Equipment...http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Cycle-Lift or a Handy Standard table (Model 10740...http://www.handyindustries.com/products/standard-1000-air-lift) from a local retail outlet that sells and services heavy duty landscaping equipment.

Both tables are rated at 1000 pounds and both are air operated.

The Atlas table (made in China) sells for $749 and includes the front wheel vise.

The Handy table (made in US) sells for ($950 plus $150 for the front wheel vise. (So, about +$350 for the Handy)

Other considerations: Handy table has an optional dolly for moving the table around my somewhat crowded shop (Atlas does not offer this). Handy table is shorter drive to pick up (60 miles vs. 140 miles). I'd expect the resale value on the Handy to be higher. Warranty on Atlas is One year-Parts only...Handy is "limited lifetime". If I needed service, the retailer selling Handy would be my choice.

Any one have any experience with either of these tables? Is the Handy table worth the premium?

I've got a handy SAM-2 and LOVE it.

My decision a little over a year ago was very similar I think between Titan and Handy. I talked to the guys at nomar who had just switched from selling handy to the new brand and they said that even though they had switched all of them preferred the handy. (Faster to go up/down, etc)

I'm amazed at how much I use mine. FWIW

Go into the dealerships and see what they have, (I already know the answer). I love my Handy and never worry about the stability or safety of the bench. And BTW, I saved a LOT on it by approaching a local dealer that was expanding, he basically made a ittle over wholesale $$ and as he was buying a few for his shop, had it shipped together with his, saving me freight costs too.

2 years using a Handy. No issues. Get the tire vice and the side extensions. You'll do more and better maintenance on your bike.

I bought a well used Handy Lift about 10 years ago from a shop that closed, for about $400, including the front wheel vise. It has been flawless. I only wish for the extra side panels.

Extension sides

A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler... their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.

A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler... their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.

In my opinion; easier and safer loading and unloading of the bike; a place to place tools, parts, fluids and light. Some have mentioned that the extensions can interfere with some procedures or make it more difficult to see or reach a spot on the bike. Has not happened to me, but on the Handy lift the extensions can be removed in a few minutes. And, while you may believe it will be used for bikes only, that may not be the case. You'll be amazed how popular you become once you have a lift and/or a tire changer. Imagine a line of riding lawn mowers waiting at your door......;)

If you are working deep on a bike it would be nice to have more room for tools and parts.

Back