• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Did you accomplish your riding improvement goal of last year?

ultracyclist

Last spring I started a thread about improving a riding skill as a goal for the year.

I worked on "spacing", and I think I am better at it now.

This year I want to work on setting up the right line prior to the entry of a turn.

What are you going to work on this year?

Improved the smoothness of my shifting and stopped stiff arming the handlebars. Much smoother riding resulted.

Did 5 track days to keep mine sharp. Keeps you smooth, and removes the fear in the twisties that can contribute to a bad experience.

I had no specific goals last year however, I accomplished the Experienced Rider's Course, the MSF Instructor's course, and Jim Hyde's 2-day off road course. I'm waiting for the mileage results for specific numbers but I think I managed about 10K miles as well. Not a bad riding year, IMHO.

This year, I do have a goal. I need to improve my tight right hand turns. My goal is to master the U-turn box on my 1200 GS.

I managed to attend a Lee Parks Total Control Clinic and Skills day this past summer...
It has been on my list for a couple of years.

Learned quite a bit...but I also learned I need more learnin'...:blush

I don't recall what (or if) I posted, but I did take the BMW GS training course in June to improve my off road skills.

Took the MSF Advanced Rider Course (ARC) in August of 2010 at Lakeshore Technical College (Manitowoc, WI).

Learned quite a bit - wrote a little ditty on the experience in the January 2011 ON issue.

Enjoy a safe and fun 2011! :bikes

i failed miserably as i lay flat on my back, covered in the greasy gray Kentucky mud, having just been body-slammed to the ground after trying to roost vance. :ha

Last edited:
Yes...no performance awards for either of us in 2010:clap:clap:clap...and 0 LEO sponsored stops crossing the country a couple of times. :D

My plan was to have no close-encounters-of-the-worst-kind, and I did succeed at that. Part of the reason was managing to reacquire some missing awareness. I can only hope to at least maintain that level, if not raise it.

In 2010 I failed to take an off road riding course to gain more skills on gravel and never got around to taking a Lee Parks riding course, as I had intended. Although I failed at this, I did ride more gravel roads last year with greater confidence.

I don't know that I set a goal, per se. It was my first year of using motorcycles as my sole means of transport. I was familiar with them, but from decades back, so I was, in essence, a new rider.

Got a K100RS and a Seca 600. My goal, such as it was was to be comfortable enough on the K-Bike to make a road trip.

I did. The Seca was acting up and I used the K100 as my only bike from April on, since I didn't have the time to work the Seca (a much better in and around town bike) up before my planned leaving date (late June).

Some tip-overs (slow speed, over reaction to a perceived threat and the wheels not in line... weight shifted to the front, and over I went. The guy I bought the bike from had done that, and decided it wasn't the bike for him).

But I got more comfortable, took her 8,000 miles in 18 riding days, saw my dad, visited friends in New Mexico, DC, Jersey, Canada, Maine, and Minnesota. Did a thousand miles two-up.

I'd say that was my goal. I can't really imagine, anymore, not riding. I might have wreck that makes me hang it up (I wiped out a small bike a year ago August, didn't stop me) but until then, I'm hooked.

I'm moving to Jersey this summer, and leaving the land of all weather riding, and easy to get to roads that never get dull (south of San Francisco, Alice's is a forty minute ride, if I take the short route). I'll ship my stuff, and ride the K100.

Back