• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Cool Down Vest

JayElDee

I picked one up about a month ago and have used it a few times. I'm using it only along the Gulf Coast so far, so read hot and humid in July/August.

I think it's better than not using it, but by how much I cannot say. It's NOT dramatic.
Some observations, acknowledging that I am probably still learning how best to prepare it for a ride. I am soaking it as best i can, then wringing it out and letting it stand a bit before wearing. I have also put it in the freezer for a short time.
It definitely feels wet when it is on. It doesn't wet my T shirt, but feels like the T shirt is wet. That's acceptable considering I am riding in 90+ heat, but reports I've read said it feels dry, no it doesn't.

In order to cool you airflow is needed. You have to be going over 30-35 mph for noticeable effect. Others mmv, but with my Cee Bailey screen, that's how fast I need to go.

Does it lower temps by 5-9 degrees C? Doesn't feel like that. Last weekend I compared how my chest felt with the vest vs how my legs felt with mesh and no cooling attire. My jacket is summer mesh (RevIt). There was a little difference, but it didn't seem 9degrees C (about 15 degrees F).

It does stay damp a good while, 4+hours, and so far the extra layer has not made me hotter, even when it is nearly dry.

On balance, it is a worthwhile addition, but in my experience the advertising hype is somewhat overstated. It could be that in dryer climes it could be far more effective, but I have not tried it there.

Comparing it to soaking your T shirt and or filling your helmet w water, soaking the lining, it's similarly effective, but does last a lot longer.

It was $100.

John

I almost bought a BMW Cool Down Vest, but by the time i dragged my carcass to the dealer, the only one in my size was gone. I made a leap of faith and can highly recommend looking at the LDComfort line of products. In early July, I rode from St. Louis to Colorado Springs and back wearing their short sleeve mock turtleneck t-shirt and comfort cool sleeves. Crossing Kansas, I saw temperatures as high as 104 degrees and was very comfortable. I'm sold! :thumb

I purchased a Kool Vest from Silver Eagle at Sedalia last summer. Worked well in the lower humidity areas, but once back in the high humidity Southeast it was less effective.

Like Bob (Hi, Bob!) my experience is that cooling vests of any evaporative type work best in lower humidity levels. Because I travel with a dog and need to be attuned to his comfort level I don't use any of the long-duration products. I went the same route as Fasterling. I wet my LD Comfort long-sleeve mock turtleneck (and Barley's neck and chest fur). As long as we're moving we're quite comfy, so far in temps up to 108F, but that requires us to re-wet every 45-60 minutes. If traffic or construction slows us down, we both suffer.

Pete

Been using a Veskimo for those hot humid place- including a 10 hr ride in temps up to 102 about a week ago.

It works well but the std Veskmo can't hold enough ice for a long ride so I'm reenginnering the reservoir from their stock 9 qt to one based on a 13 qt Engel cooler...A block in the 13 L should last for a long day ride and it will also hold an entire 10 lb bag of ice whereas their stock 9 qt one holds only about 6 lbs of bag ice.

Back