• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Well, here goes-'67 R69S

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

Got the title in the mail last week, so it's officially ours as the second owners:dance all matching numbers
P9230037-L.jpg

P9230042-L.jpg

P2040368-L.jpg

feel confident this is most likely right according to his daughter...

there is a 75/6 with the same general mileage range I am picking up in a few days that was in the collection. The R27 he owned was sold by the original owner right before he passed in '86.

Now to start the long process of bringing it back from a 26 year nap. I had it sitting here for almost two years as the original owners grandson struggled with money. He kept seeing them on EBay for 12K and up:banghead. He finally decided it wasn't for him and we came to a fair deal.

Anyways, started taking her apart to do the refresh thing and the sticker shock to go along with that a lot of you know about already. It doesn't take long to see where this is headed!
PA120039-L.jpg

No hurry for sure, plan on taking the block & heads to Vech this winter on the back of my GSA on the way to the Correct Coast and a late year rally out that way. I'll tinker with it and have a goal to ride it to the Fall Classic in Luckenbach next October...or the following year:scratch. Helen said she was:whistle

I'll be asking/reporting and hanging out here and on the Vintage site it seems.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Doubt you'll need much help, but I'm just down the road!

After today's session with the S...I looked back and asked myself " what HAVE I done?" :scratch

Had two batteries coming for the slash 6 to see if I can get it to fire up and the 11R to clear up a lift, but the weather changed and my ride in delivery did not happen...so, I rolled on to project #326, or is it # 327...the '67S.
Gotta say, wiring and fasteners are so minimal...what a treat! And pulling a tranny compared to an oilhead was actually fun...go figure!
Took lot's of pics and made a lot of notes:uhoh
Even the 26 year old oil & gear lube looked good.No ugly surprises.

PA260013-L.jpg

PA260020-L.jpg

PA260016-L.jpg

Next session will set the engine out to prep taking it on a road trip to MS. :dance

Having an issue gettting armature off the shaft... any suggestions? sure don't want to "pry" on the windings. The advance came off it's shaft easily...the armature not so much.

Having an issue gettting armature off the shaft... any suggestions? sure don't want to "pry" on the windings. The advance came off it's shaft easily...the armature not so much.

Do you have the extractor bolt? It can take a bit of work to get the armature to pop. See, for example, the bottom of http://www.snafu.org/restore/1998-10/page6.html where I picture a bent extraction tool. Guess how it got bent!

The same tool is used to remove the magneto rotor.

Thanks Marc,

Been out of town and just getting back to this...No tool, will check that out

Steve -

When you going to pull the rotor? I have one of the tools from Cycleworks.

Kurt brought the tool by and with little effort ( barely a full turn after it got tight) both the armature and the rotor popped off their shafts... next... teardown the rest of the top end for trip to Vech's.

had the seat and tank from the /6 temporarily parked on the frame while I was cleaning it up...just kidding y'all!:laugh

Going to clean and compound/wax the frame and make the decision about leaving it be or painting it. The tank is in great shape for it's age, the fenders have some pitting but after compounding and polishing are OK for a leave it alone state. I plan on keeping this bike, so I will do what needs to be done in steps as there is no pressure to do it all now. I want the engine to be back to a baseline condition so it gets all the attention for now.

The chrome parts are in need of major renovation/replacing. Already shopping for all of that stuff:eek

Attachments

• Kidding.jpg
    Kidding.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 181
When he came by yesterday, Kurt asked what shape was the damper in...I said it appeared to be just a pulley and was in the box behind him...
here is what it looked like prior to removing all the electrics...no rubber!

there were no remnants behind the housing nor any rub marks from it coming apart...maybe the original owner removed it ?

Attachments

• PA260007.jpg
    PA260007.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 180
I had the exact same damper on my bike! I got the full assembly, and it definitely made for a smoother motor.

Steve -

I thought about the damper after the fact. It was used on the higher revving sport model because of the way the crankshaft was supported in the bearings. At higher revs, the tip could wallow through the air, affecting a number of things...as you can imagine. The damper and rubber were there to offer a countereffect.

There are discussions about the necessity of this. I've always had mine in place. Haven't run it to say the engine is smoother. Some will say it's not needed unless you're running near max RPM for sustained periods. Do you feel lucky???

there were no remnants behind the housing nor any rub marks from it coming apart...maybe the original owner removed it ?

:nod That is how my R69S looked when I got it.. In spite of all the warnings on how the damper spring (that rubber bit) wears in no time I bought a damping mass, spring, and associated parts. The new "spring" lasted about 17K miles (about 8 years at the rate I put miles on the R69S). I replaced it because the damping mass moved easier on the spring than it had in the past.

The damper parts, new in 2001.

p-2001-Jun-30-001.jpg

In 2009 it was time to replace the spring. New on the left, used on the right. I check the mass most every service (1200 intervals).

p-20090609-1301-5269.jpg

Removed the FD and preparing to remove swingarm assy.Of course my pin wrench is not stout enough to remove the pins.

The right shock fell out???, does it just rest on the spring? The upper section is threaded but I have not cleaned the lower part enough to see if it is supposed to be screwed together.
It appears the shock tower rubbed the aluminum shock cover as well...normal?

Also set the shortblock out of the frame after removing the top end. Dropped the oilpan to see what kind of sludge had built up...how about very little in one of the grooves. Was expecting a lot more. But at 18K, maybe not long enough...which is good.

Helen rode in last night asking where did the bike go:laugh

After looking at the condition of frame finish, leaning toward a repaint, I couldn't compound some serious blemishes out and there are enough bare spots to change my desire to leave it original.

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 133
Back