• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Linked brakes...

A

angysdad

I was speaking with a friend who races sidecars and he mentionned that on his racing rigs, the 'rear' pedal controled all three bakes (front/rear/hack). He has a second caliper on front disk operated by 'normal' brake lever to conform to rules for two indedendant braking system.
I am upgrading my rear master cyclinder since it is inadequate for rear and hack brakes combined, and I was thinking of hooking up one front disk to rear/hack brake and keeping one front disk hooked up to brake lever.
Has anyone done this, or something similar?
Any thought on the subject?

On my wife's R80RT / EML I have both front dsiks, the rear disk, and the sidecar disk all hooked to the rear pedal. Used a VW Beetle (aircooled) master cylinder and proportioning valves on the lines to the rear and car. It works well, the only time it gives problems is when pushing it around the barn, no way to get to the brake if your standing along side of it.

I did this on her bike because she doesn't have fingers on her right hand.

On my rig I have two calipers on the sidecar wheel, one tied to the front brake and one tied to the rear. A front brake only stop is pretty straight, but using the rear or both usually results in a slight pull to the right.

Mike

Has anyone done this, or something similar?
Any thought on the subject?

The disc brake on my hack is independent.
I have a second master cylinder side by side w/ the motorcycles.
Both actuated by the rear brake pedal.
If the need should arise to separate, the motorcycles brakes are intact.
The latter staying w/ the hack.

Back