• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

electronic ignition conversion '77 r100rs

Gpr100rs

This topic has probably been discussed before, but I'm thinking about converting my '77 r100rs to Dyna III Electronic Ignition. The more obvious reason is eliminating changing out the points, etc., but I'd like to hear from those who have converted. Was it worth the cost? Any difference in performance/mileage/etc.? I don't do extreme high miles, but am planning a couple trips to remote areas of Michigan and just looking for a little piece of mind. Let me know your thoughts.

I took the plunge because of (repeated) frustrating experience with points purchased from my BMW dealer. Made in China... made in Eastern Europe... I don't care... they failed shortly after installation. Forced me to make a roadside repair in the second case. Embarrassed me in front of my buddies and hurt my sense of Airhead Reliability and Pride.

My experience with Dyna ignition (R60/7, R75/6) is that the bikes seem to start easier, stay in tune longer and require less "fiddling" with idle speed and carb balance. If you are worried about what to do if the Dyna fails, carry your take-off points & parts with you. The probability of failure is small. Go for it. My $.02.

I had good luck with the two that I had. One was my 78 RS that was installed in1985. The other one was my R90S that was put on in 2009. Since I got my RS with it already installed I cannot talk about its running before, but the R90S started faster. Other than that I could not see much improvement. My RS would sometimes shut off for a second or two, then run fine for hundreds of miles. Never could sort out that problem.

Wayne

I'm also a fan of the Dyna III. I am on my second one since the early '80s on my /7. Corrosion between the replacement backing plate the engine case can be a problem over time. I also second the idea of carrying everything to convert back to points if the need arises.

I don't have much to say about performance, but it does help smooth the engine out by independently adjusting the cylinder firing points and is typically set it and forget it. On the other hand, it is fiddly to initially get set up.

I've used both the Dyna III and the Boyer on my /7. I also had points and points with a Dyna Points Booster, so I guess I've run pretty close to the full gamut when it comes to ignition options for poor thing.:ha

I much prefer the electronic ignition to either points alone or points with the booster. This is in part as I no longer need to fiddle with the points, and I find I have smoother overall engine operation with the electronic ignition, particularly the Boyer (which eliminates the mechanical advance mechanism). When I converted to the Boyer most recently, I was going to have to replace my bike's mechanical advance (it was shot), which in addition to the cost of the Dyna put it a little out of my immediate economic comfort zone... thus the Boyer, which came highly recommended to me and I think I prefer now that I've used it for awhile due it's overall simplicity. If/when the Boyer dies, I will most likely get another.

That said, I also had really good results with the Dyna (my mechanical advance was still newish at that time, many years ago...), and would recommend it highly as well. The only issue I had with the Dyna was the magnetic sensors failing after a number of years- that was in the late 80's, so I'll bet they are better these days.

Good luck- fortunately, there are not alot of bad choices out there! :beer

Dyna3:)

My '78 R100/7 got the Dyna3 probably 30 years ago now. Never had any trouble and now with 377000miles on the bike. Smoother and my biggest gain was higher RPMs this thing runs really well, never seen with points. I've probably put way over 250000m on my first and only Dyna3 I bought way back. I found it EASY to put in, don't remember having any trouble doing it. I am glad to see they still the Dyna3:). A great product in my case. Randy

Thanks for the input, it certainly makes the decision easier to switch over to the Dyna. I, too, have had the pleasure of purchasing points only to find out the rub strip was too big and the correct gap could not be set (this realization coming after an hour of fiddling, sweating and swearing!).

Thank you

And your question was on my mind also, I love this forum, I've been wondering the same things, on the fence with Dyna III or Boyer, but Jim you just swayed me to go with the Boyer. Now just got to scrape enough money to buy it....got to sell some of my inventory:fight
Glenn

And your question was on my mind also, I love this forum, I've been wondering the same things, on the fence with Dyna III or Boyer, but Jim you just swayed me to go with the Boyer. Now just got to scrape enough money to buy it....got to sell some of my inventory:fight
Glenn
I think you'll like it! :beer

Prices of each?

Can you give the approximate prices of each of the units? Dyna III, Boyer, and Dyna's "booster" for use with points?

Appreciated.

Who handles the Boyer?

Got a set of BMW part numbered points the other day for the /6...in the corner of label... made in China

Chickened out and ordered a Boyer kit from Rocky Point which arrived today...I use to like points, had many dual point set ups on Chevy's years ago with no issues. No issues on my other brand bikes thru the years ...but I like the thought of not having to jack with them if possible.

My bike is low mileage, but, I had the bouncing timing mark in the window which looked like the advance was also an issue...it will be eliminated now.

The Boyer was cheaper than a new advance...which was $282:doh

Dyna III about $300. Dyna Booster about $85. I don't know what a Boyer costs.

The Dyna III or the Boyer seem to be the most popular. Either is a complete electronic conversion. The Dyna III keeps the mechanical advance. I think the Boyer does not? (Is this the difference?)

I'm a fan of the Booster. Seems the older guys prefer the Booster. Younger guys prefer the other. Maybe when you are older you will agree with the Old Farts? Maybe not.

My link showed the Boyer around $200 for the single plug bikes, '70-78. The Boyer eliminates the mechanical advance in favor of an electronic advance. That might be considered an advantage for the Boyer especially if the cam tip threads are eff'ed up and/or you're working on a pinging R60 series where the Boyer can delay the advance curve a tad.

Don't know about the old versus young...I have the EI on my /7 but run points on the other two bikes. I think I'll keep it that way...the /7 needs to be dependable and it's what I use for touring...the others are more for around town or day trips.

Dyna III $200

The Dyna III is $200, I have purchased a few from Motorrad Electrik http://www.motoelekt.com/ignition.htm , I have the most time spent on my 1977 R100/7, I also got new plug wires and the green coil. Starting the bike always surprises me, barely and I mean just barely she turns over and is running! Prior to that she would turn over a revolution or two and start. The other bikes a 1978 R100, a 1979 R100RT and a 1976 R75/6. They all start so quick, which is just a bit faster than points which work well if they are quality points. Nothing wrong with good old points, but the key is "good" and I have had bad luck the last couple of years.
kurt

Back