• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Eagle One "Keep Clean" Wheel

racer7

A while ago I had to remove some stubborn black stains on my rear wheel (std silver paint finish on an 08 RT) resorting to a Mr Clean (mildly abrasive) pad to do so after all normal solution wheel cleaners failed to remove them. The stains originated from dust from EBC HH rear pads no doubt aided by the fact that the wheel had not been washed in a few months of wet riding. But one doesn't want to regularly resort to abrasive or harsh chemical cleaners so I looked for something to protect the rear wheel finish and happened on Eagle One "Keep Clean" Wheel.

The product comes in a pump spray bottle, is applied to a clean wheel, and dries to a clear, non-oily, transparent film much like what is created by some waterproof sunscreens formulas ( This product is definitely not skin safe, however).

I ran the coated rear wheel and an uncoated front for a while that included last week's run to the Rubber Chicken Rally in Snowshoe, WV. The riding included quite a bit of rain as well as hot pavement that throws up the usual small tar bits.
The coating does not keep rain debris from accumulating on a motorcycle wheel thougfh the pattern (very much aligned with wheel rotation) shows it doesn't adhere as well. Cleaning both wheels after return (the coating will come off with cleaning) showed that the coating prevented any of the tar bits from staining the rear wheel- all the road debris and brake dust washed off 100% with just normal detergent washing of the bike without resorting to any additional cleaners or chemicals. The product apparently will substantially reduce dirt adherence to wheels for at least a few weeks. I do not know how long the effect will last and I recoated the wheels after washing- which led to one of my couple negative comments about this product.

The product is intended to be dispensed by pump spray which worked fine the first time the product was used. However, the second try found the pump spray clogged. I've spent a lot of my career in the packaging industry so I opened up the pump (by prying off the nozzle cover) and cleaned the internals so the pump again sprayed, testing it with water and running it dry. However, upon putting it back in the product it again failed to dispense. The pump is the cheapest possible type and I doubt many if any purchasers of this product will find that it remains functional for the life of the contents (which could easily be a couple years for a bike).

So, I took the top off the bottle and applied the product with a rag which works fine. However, the product contains mineral spirits, isopropanol and trimethyl benzene as solvents, the latter of which might be slightly contaminated with benzene, a known carcinogen. So appropriate gloves should be used if you do this. Trimethly benzene is not presently OSHA regulated but there are NIOSH limits and PPE info published- it is a known skin irritant. The solvents dry fast enough that I doubt they have any effect on wheel finishes and the maker claims the product is safe for all finishes. The maker also cautions about ignition possibilities, not to ingest, adequate ventilation, etc and provides on the label an 800 number for chemical emergencies.

There are other similar products on the market that I have not tried. Perhaps one of them has a sprayer of better design. I would also prefer a product without trimethyl benzene if such is available. A photo is attached and you can find this and similar items in Autozone and many other chain stores.

Attachments

• DSC00634.JPG
    DSC00634.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up.

I was looking at this the other day after spending an hour with cleaner wax and making my fingers numb.

New topic. I used to live in Jacksonville for a number of years die to previously green vocation. Hane they ever finished that bypass to get around CamLej?

There are now some faster ways thru town including a bypass type but a lot of traffic still runs right out front of Tarawa housing. Base is thriving..
All in all, its still a base town more than anything else with the usual assortment of bloodsuckers trying to prey on young soldiers just outside the gates.
Its got the only "all Japanese brands" bike shop I know of for a long distance and there is a small shop there that can do BMW service but does not sell new BMWs.

I've tried the same stuff - giving it the acid test, my wife's BMW 5 series wagon with BMW-OE brake pads. Cleaned the rims, used it on one side, didn't do the other side.

The side I did stayed cleaner, and the brake dust (which on this car can only be described as excessive) washed off the side I did with clear water and a sponge. The undone side was noticeably dirtier, and it took more effort to remove the brake dust.

The coating appears to last about 3 weeks or so if the vehicle is outside in NJ - then the effectiveness starts dropping. I also suspect just washing the car is enough to start to remove it.

Worthwhile? Dunno, but on the bike I'd say not really. Problem with using it is avoiding getting it on the brake rotors. I don't want a plastic type coating on my rotors.

Oh - my squirter also broke probably the 2nd time I tried using it. I stole one from some other spray concoction I had in the garage and managed to use up all of the product. I have not bothered buying any more of it..

After a couple months and a pair of trips to the mountains I found brake dust much easier to remove- basically just a soapy rinse got it all.
Apparently this stuff fills in the valleys in the BMW paint as well as providing a less adherent surface.
After washing I quickly recoated the outer rim bits by hand, all that was needed.

The real test will be winter use but so far it appears worthwhile on the bike and its not necessary to apply with their poor sprayer.

Re that brake dust on German cars- many dealers will substitute a US "ceramic" pad (a marketing misleading term) with less and whiter dust that will stop the endless front end discoloration typical of German pads fitted as OEM on most of the models. The German pads have no performance advantage and several other disadvantages....The FMSI nmber for any pad describes it and allows matching a replacement but only some makers use it in their part numbers though almost all list it next to the part in their catalogs.

The best fin sih for keeping brake dust off wheels is hard anodized aluminum but I don't know an oem that uses it- tends to be found only on some expensive 3 piece wheels. (NOT samre as polsihed aluminum which is arguably the wrost possible choice if you live in damp area, eeing large amounts of maintenance and polishing)

Go to your local grocery store and get this stuff, less than $3 a bottle, cleans grease better than Gunk degreaser, cleans wheels and brake dust better than most rim cleaners. It is all I use now.
31Dq9k71E4L._SS500_.jpg

I use S100 to clean my bike and I haven't had to touch my wheels in a long time. I spray it on and hose it off. Wheels a spottless afterwards.

Back