• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No dealers in Kansas?

jaherbst

Jack Herbst
Checking the BMW dealers on the MOA web this morning and see there are no listed dealers in the state of Kansas.

I am riding from Paonia Colorado (Top of The Rockies Rally) to Sedalia and have to travel all the way across Kansas without a dealer? Can I go that far without something going wrong on my BMW?:sick

How many other states have no BMW dealers?

Jack

My state of Missouri has 3 dealers but MY dealer is in Arkansas. I'm not sure man made boundaries matter that much. I rarely have trouble with the border crossings anyway ;)

I am riding from Paonia Colorado (Top of The Rockies Rally) to Sedalia and have to travel all the way across Kansas without a dealer? Can I go that far without something going wrong on my BMW?:sick

Paonia to the east side of Kansas is only 800 miles. Do you normally have to stop for repairs every 800 miles?
I'm guessing you meant this thread as a joke.

Checking the BMW dealers on the MOA web this morning and see there are no listed dealers in the state of Kansas.

Jack

As long as you stay out of the Cimmaron Vortex everything should be fine. You will need to take evasive action if you do encounter the vortex. Speeding up helps sometimes, but so does slowing down. Turning clockwise should be avoided but turning anti-clockwise might be beneficial.

If you do suffer damage you can stop at Engle Motors in the big Kansas City which isn't the one in Kansas and they should be able to remedy the 500 or so miles of dealer deprivation.

How about Engle Motors?

While not IN Kansas, they are right on the border.
Engle Motors
6633 East Truman Road, Kansas City, MO

"Cimmaron Vortex"?

Is that near the Cimmaron Strip, AKA the Okalahoma Panhandle?

Went to school there and it was hard to get out of.

Jack

I rode my 650 Dakar from Fort Worth to Southern California and back in Feb and not problems at all, well except wind and dust storms :thumb

Jack
Maybe you should stay home if you are afraid of getting off the sidewalk.:brad

Big open spaces!

Big open space, like from Denver to Kansas City means few people, few people means little demand for motorcycle dealerships.

I've been across this area many times on one or another BMW and always enjoyed the vastness, it's not for everyone but for those of us who enjoy the openness of the great plains it's quite something. You can even do this ride entirely off pavement, be aware of storms crossing as the roads out west are dirt, not gravel, dirt, and we know what heavy rain and dirt equals.

It is more scenic if you stay off the interstate, take 36, 18, 24, 50, 56. These East/West routes will take you thru small towns. People are friendly and will help if need be, though it could be awhile before anyone shows up.

There is Engle's BMW/Triumph in KC. They're an old, well established and great dealership.

If your bike is a junker you could be risking your life breaking down in the summer heat. As a precaution, you might want to take an umbrella, for the sun.

Kansas

And that ride on I70 is so scenic across the plains of KS. I live in OK and it's almost as bad here. A lovely warm southern breeze this time of year will probably have you leaning a wee bit left and might even leave a nice flat spot on your tires. There's a dealer in Tulsa OK that is open Tue thru Sat. Safe travels. I'll be headed up there from OKC.

Kansas/Oklahoma:)

Like'em both having ridden across there dozens of times. I try hard to avoid the Interstates, finding them boring. I broke down in Kansas once, about 1985, having to rebuild my carb on my Airhead. I carried the needed supplies:), got r done. Did that job in a rest area along US50, Eastern Kansas not near a town. Airheads, maybe older now but certainly easier to fix in many ways. I still have that bike, my R100/7. Randy PS; They do have many m/c dealers in those states, just brand X everything. Thats alright, most are friendly and even have some parts you may need:), general m/c stuff:)

It doesn't matter!

Jack

When you arrive in Sedalia with or without your bike, you probably won't have a motel room anyway. You'll be sing'in The Super Eight Blues! How many towns have their Super 8 Motel vanish?

Back