• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Tire Recommendation

Moose667

My 2010 F650GS is in need of a new set of tires. Can anyone make a recommendation? I ride mostly on blacktop but do get on the gravel/dirt roads which are abundant in KS. Thanks!

LOVED the Anakee 3 on my F800GS,. great wear, did a fair amount of dirt roads, no serious off road, worked well great in twisties, and rain, wear far beyond expectations!

I appreciate the feedback. Looks like they are getting decent reviews from what i have found online. Also read some positive comments on the Heidenau's. Have you changed tires on the 650? Some research shows this can be a daunting task.

I appreciate the feedback. Looks like they are getting decent reviews from what i have found online. Also read some positive comments on the Heidenau's. Have you changed tires on the 650? Some research shows this can be a daunting task.

Should be easier then the 800GS, as the 650 is tubeless.

I tried Heidenaus and hated them, they were way too buzzy for the road. I put on Metzeler Tourance Nexts and I love them so far.

Thanks for the recommendation! How has tread wear been on the Metzlers. I priced them and they were significantly cheaper than some of the other brands.

I've been running Shinko 705s on my F8GS for the last few years. They come as tubeless, and i believe they are available in your sizing. Offer both radial and bias, at least in some sizes. I get at least 5-6K miles per pair, which is reasonable in my mind- then when you factor in that a PAIR costs less than $140 (i don't think i've ever paid more than $120 a pair, but i know that prices fluctuate during the year), they are darn economical. Great on the road (and i tend to be an aggressive rider), good on dirt, can be a bit sketchy in deep sand or heavy mud. i do my own mounting/balancing, so the slightly more frequent changes than some other tires is not really a concern.

If you do 95/5 pavement and like twisties Metzler Tourance EXP give a good sticky tire but it wears a bit quicker. I like this one best...extra sticky margin..

The normal Metzler Tourance is a bit more dirt aggressive 90/10 maybe...harder rubber...last longer 10k plus on the rear

Hiedeneau better for dirt 50/50. Very hard rubber so they last for ever 11 k miles Alaska trip still had 1/3 left on the rear and front was only 1/2 worn. Hard rubber make slick on paved and especially wet paved roads. They are pretty good on dirt roads..wet or dry....better than the normal so call dual sport tires. Buzzy on the highway at certain speeds.
Only recommend them if you plan to really do 50/50 dirt

hope this helps.

Back