• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

portable power in a box

redclfco

I am seriously considering buying one of those "power ina box" toys for dead batteriy charges. I have almost been stuck several times with no power, BUT wonder if anyone has any feedback for if they will work or not.

The ones I'm familiar with are just another 12V battery with a built-in trickle charger. They work fine for starting a motorcycle, lawn tractor or some passenger cars, but don't expect to start your Cummins diesel with one. Two, maybe. I have one (somewhere) that even has a 110V inverter built in, maybe 100W or something like that. I've never used that feature.

Yep, that's all they are (12 v battery in a heavy box). The ones that use dry cells (yes there are a few) are a total waste of time. As are the solar chargers. They just can't put out enough jiunce to make a real difference.

If you truelly need a small portable power source to jump start a motorcycle, I've used nicads, nimh, and much more recently lion cells. I have a 4 pack of lion cells in a pack now I use for my electric helicoptor that has been used to jump a scooter and a 250cc motorcycle. Never tried it on my RT, but suspect it would work. It's small enough to fit in my hand.

If I were significantly worried about having to carry on around, I'l rig up an internal harness so I could just plug it in and start the motorcycle and go home. But then again, I've never really been in a sitation where I worried about being stranded that often. Instead I've always addressed (fixed) the problem.

Maybe if you explained why you are so concerned about being stranded we could help you identify and fix the problem too. No motorcycle in good operating condition should leave one stranded.

Maybe if you explained why you are so concerned about being stranded we could help you identify and fix the problem too. No motorcycle in good operating condition should leave one stranded.

Impossible to fix the problem, since most of it's in my head! I have a scarred memory that caused serios flashbacks of pure parinoia that if I turn the key, I get nothing....then I let OUT my breath and it all gets better.

I actually had it happen way back in 1977 to a Toyota Land Crusier when I was 30miles out, back over some of the roughest roads I have hever negotiated. What a long walk to and from that vehicle; and yes it was a electrical issue that caused the battery to drain down having to do with the grounding of the fuse box and an exposed wire!

I am happy to say my 05GS just got a clean bill of health from my friendly mechanic, and is not the problem.

Seriously, however, I am riding some pretty obscure and unmarked places after the rally solo, and when I do that, I always, always like to watch out for my backside. I always wondered if one was light enough, and really worked.

Seriously, however, I am riding some pretty obscure and unmarked places after the rally solo, and when I do that, I always, always like to watch out for my backside. I always wondered if one was light enough, and really worked.

OK, if you seriously want a lightweight battery pack to get you out of a jam, send me a PM and I can help you choose a good one that will fit your needs. You'd probbaly want to wire up a pigtail to plug the pack in to just to make it easy, but it is doable.

The basic idea is you will need a high capacity high discharge 12 volt battery pack and charger (home AC based). Then just slip the charged battery pack in to your travel kit and go play. If a problem occurs, plug it in, start the motorcycle, and be on your way. Capacity = size, so the larger you get the more start cycles you can get out of it. Also, bigger = more expensive though. But if you are serious, send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

I carry jumper cables with me, no matter the vehicle. Sooner or later, I have to use them. The cables sold by Aerostich pack to the size of a softball.

As an experiment, I picked up a 5 watt, 12V solar panel a couple of months ago. It'll mount on the top box and keep a small gell cell charged up for recharging things like ipods and phones. http://www.batterystuff.com

Back