• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Adirondack Ride

J

jpotter265

Any route suggestions for the Adirondack region of NY? My friend and I plan to take a weekend ride form Western Massachusetts to the Adirondacks. We could use any route recommendations and suggestions for good places to eat, sleep, or general points of interest we should visit. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Rule #1 - hard to have a bad ride in the Adirondacks. Just find any road and follow your headlight.

OK - one specific ride.

AdirondackRide.jpg

If you are camping, #6 is Moreau Lake, a New York State campsite, an excellent place to camp.

Will recommend two places to stop for some good chow at a reasonable place.

Main Street Diner in Ballston Spa on Route 50. It is located about 1.5 north of Ballston Spa in the Carousel Village - across the street from the Pizza Hut. Closest Northway (I-87) exit is exit 13S

Further North at exit 18 is Carl R restaurant. It has a Mexican theme but it has a full American menu.

If you have any additional questions - come on back.

Thank you for the info. We will definitely check out the Memorial Highway and Heid's BMW.

Rule #1 - hard to have a bad ride in the Adirondacks. Just find any road and follow your headlight.

I would suggest staying off the Northway... Ugh.

Any ride within the park is a 10+. Most roads are well maintained w/ sweeping bank curves and plenty of twisties!
Garnet Lake Road, twistie heaven, will take you to Heids. It's a bit anti-climatic but if you get a chance to speak w/ Bill it's worth the trip. After Heids continue on to Garnet Lake. Depending on time of year/day worth a dip and or a lunch break. When you get to the head of the lake go left for public access 'bout a mile down the road.
Leaving the area you have 3 choices. I'll mention the 2 best... Route 8 East or West.
West takes you to Speculator. From there grab 30 and continue North into the High Peaks Region. Grab 3 into Saranac Lake. From there take 86 into Lake Placid. Summer = Duck Walk in town so plan to get through there early in the summer/fall months.
From Placid pickup 73 East and you will swear you are in the Alps in some sections... Take that to 9N and follow the lakes, Champlain and George, South. Again avoid the Northway, I-87. In Lake George, home of Americade you can buy all the rubber tomahawks you want amongst the tourista crowd. Still... It's a must do if you haven't before. Fort William McHenry is there... Home of the "Last of the Mohicans".
There are many routes within this route I've described... 28/28N out of Warrensburg is another excellent ride!
When in Warrensburg a must stop is Oscars Smoke House. It's in town on 9.

Other than that... Enjoy the area... Some of the best riding on the East Coast.
One warning. Came across a Moose between Hadley and Stoney Creek in 2001.
So they are there in the Adirondacks again! Plenty of deer too. :hide
Don't forget your camera.
-Jim

Adirondacks

Went there last year for Americade, not a bad road in the area, we would head out from Lake George and in any direction see wonderful roads. Beautiful !!

Any route suggestions for the Adirondack region of NY? My friend and I plan to take a weekend ride form Western Massachusetts to the Adirondacks. We could use any route recommendations and suggestions for good places to eat, sleep, or general points of interest we should visit. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot about This Site. It's called Motorcycle Roads and it is full of ride suggestions for all 50 States.
That link is for the Adirondack Region of which I've added a few. The one called "Garnet Lake Road" is how you get to Heid's in Johnsburg.
Enjoy - Massive rides coming up!

-Jim :wow

Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like great riding.:clap :clap

Back