• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Colorado BMW Club Ride -- Pics & Video

sfarson

The Colorado Beemers have a pretty good thing going... meet most any Saturday (year round) for a hearty breakfast in Morrison at the Red Rocks Grill at 8:00a, and at 9:00a form a ride for a mountain journey. I had not participated in one of these yet, but yesterday found myself riding to Morrison to at least have a breakfast and maybe find some like-minded riders to spin two-wheels with. Well, met Roy and Gray (Buckley, Jim S. - A fellow MOA Ambassador) right away and was welcomed to join their table for a killer breakfast.

Gray suggested a sweet Woodland Park and South Park ride and there were six of us eager to thumb the starter switch for the curvy and scenic journey. If pictures are a thousand words, and a video even more so, I'll be terse with the comments and let the images do the narrative. First, a link to a four minute highlight video:

Colorado Beemers to Woodland Park - Streaming Video

Here's a map of the ride...
cbdeckersmap.jpg

Across from the Red Rocks Grill and the breakfast feast, downtown Morrison, where many bikes of many stripes gather for morning rides...
cbmorrison.jpg

First stop, about 60 miles later was at the Long Scraggy Scenic Lookout. Joining the ride was Gray (R1150RT), Roy (R1100RS), Bob (R1200GS), Pete (K1200GT), Randy (GL1800), and me (R1150GS). The Pike National Forest is all around...
cblongscraggy.jpg

The last curve before the lookout. The namesake in the distance (and above)...
cb126.jpg

A journey SW on Hwy 24 brought us to the summit of Wilkerson Pass (9507ft.). The expanse of South Park is below. Gray, Roy, and I sat enjoying the cool temps while the local VFW chapter served homemade cookies and punch. How nice. You know, don't think much has changed here over the centuries...
wilkerson.jpg

I suggested at this time trying Park County Road 77, known also as the Tarryall Rd., as a way to return to the north and the Kenosha Pass area. This is a 42 mile road loaded with turn of the century cabins, log barns, great rock formations, big time wilderness, ranches, and a state recreation area (Tarryall Reservoir). Along the way we passed through the old and small town of Tarryall. You know, it didn't look much different than this 1898 image. Most of the structures are still standing...
tarryall.jpg

Later, we parked at the Tarryall Reservoir, recently refilled after repairing the aging dam...
cbtarryallbikes.jpg

cbtarryall1.jpg

Zooming in on the Mosquito Range, guarding the northwestern flanks of South Park. Bald Mtn (13,684ft.) on the left and Mt. Guyot (13,370ft.) on the right. It was a good ride.
cbtarryall2.jpg

Back