• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DIY Throttle Body Syncing Advice

dogbros

Well, I finally quit riding my first season on a BMW (2000 R1100RT) since we had a foot of snow show up. Had a blast and rode a record (for me)10,000 miles! Now time for time to set her up for next season.

Can anyone provide advice or point me in the right direction on tools, process for doing my own throttle body syncs? Searched the site, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm mechanically capable, but always rode Harley's with carbs and this is all new to me.

Any input for a Newbie is appreciated. Would like to hear from those that think I should have dealer do this as well.

Thanks!

Hank

Welcome Hank!

Check the "Links and References" at the bottom of the Garage.
Look at Anton's procedure for valve adjustment.

I can't find my favourite TB sync write-up at the minute. Paul Glaves likely has written an article on it which you can find via the above.

You have lots of time for reading because you likely can't run the bike outside 'til Spring now. There's LOTs of reading.

A lot of folks start out mechanically by doing the tuning you have described.
Sounds to me like your previous experience will make this fairly simple for you.

Edit: I see you've been a member for a while, there's a boatload of other stuff you'll want to do on that bike, I'm not sure how you've missed it.
How many total miles on your bike?

You'll get responses to this, probably lot's. Throttle body (TB) synch is an easy DIY task. You'll be willing to spend more time than the dealer tech will to make sure that you get it right. First, do a check of valve clearances; adjust to spec if needed. This is done with engine cold. Then, warm up the bike - RIDE it 10 or more miles; not a warm up in the garage. Other's will tell you to build a manometer, I tried it and never liked working with it. There are several good gauges that you can buy for around $100; Carb-tune, Twin-Max and Harmonizer come to mind. I've used the Twin-Max and the Harmonizer. The Harmonizer is my favorite but it is very hard to get one new. These gauges all measure vacuum differences from one TB to the other. Goal is to set the vacuum equal at idle by using the air bypass screws and then at off-idle by adjusting the cable tension left and or right. If done carefully, you'll have a smooth running Oilhead with little vibration and little surge. List your location and see if there are nearby members that would assist you the first time you do this.

Here are a couple of write ups on valve adjustment and throttle body sync.

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.2.pdf

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/TBS4Dv1.0.pdf

Get yourself a set of these Wurth feeler guages from BeemerBoneyard http://www.beemerboneyard.com/wurthoilhead.html.

You'll be glad you did. :p

yhst-15102260216258_2272_1493823346

Old Skool but works great

You can make this for just a few bucks. I made mine waaaay taller than it needs to be!

manometer 1.jpg

manometer 2.jpg

A good tune-up is definitely a great start to taking care of your bike.

Spark Plugs, Valve Adjustment, etc., maybe a fuel filter, check your air filter, the basics of a good tune-up is always a good place to start.

As to the TBI Sync, I tend to leave it alone unless there is a specific concern. The old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", has a ton of merit. I don't believe a TBI Sync is part of a tune-up, check, sure, no problem, leave it alone.

As to the actual sync, tons have been discussed but really??? Sync at idle is very little concern to me. Sync above 3,000 RPM, that's what I shoot for.

Looks like a lot of good advice. I have bought the gauges for my first valve adjust and read that shod do the sync at te same time. That being said, I'm not sue it needs it, I can't notice much difference form when I started riding it 10,000 miles ago. Others have said do it every 6,000 so I thought I would just to see if I notice difference. 20 degrees here now, so this may have to wait until Spring if I need to ride it to warm it up.

Thanks to all above for the input! I now have something to read over the winter!

I've used the Twin-Max and the Harmonizer. The Harmonizer is my favorite but it is very hard to get one new. These gauges all measure vacuum differences from one TB to the other.

Michael,
I've used the Twin-Max several times and have purchased, but not yet used a Harmonizer. Do you know of a good source for instructions on the use of the Harmonizer?
Dave

I've used the Twin-Max and the Harmonizer. The Harmonizer is my favorite but it is very hard to get one new. These gauges all measure vacuum differences from one TB to the other.

Michael,
I've used the Twin-Max several times and have purchased, but not yet used a Harmonizer. Do you know of a good source for instructions on the use of the Harmonizer?
Dave

I've used mercury sticks, home made ATF and vinyl tubing rigs, a Twin Max, a Morgan Carb Tune and the Harmonizer. The Harmonizer is by far and away the best synching tool I've owned. You can get the job done with _any_ of the others but I just happen to like the clean simplicity and accuracy and ease of use with the Harmonizer.

Now the bad news. The Harmonizer is basically unobtanium. It's creator and builder is a guy whose handle is Grok over on ADV Rider. The vendor thread containing product description and use instructions is here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701625

There is a fairly useless video on YouTube here but at least you can see it working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCDLUktfB6c

Grok has not posted any updates on when more might be available since 05-21-2013, 04:47 PM on ADVRider. If he ever makes more I plan to buy a spare just in case. They do very occasionally come up for sale when guys give up wrenching or riding and are snapped up immediately.

Back