• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

booster plug installation r1200r

f14rio

looks to me like the tank gotta come off to stick the BP in there.
zat right?

1200RtIAT.jpg

this is an rt, i think. i have an r

Last edited:
You don't have to remove the tank to install the BP. You can get by with just sliding it back enough to raise the rear and allow access to the airbox. Of course by then you've done almost everything needed to remove the tank except disconnect the fuel lines and lift it off.
Just saying, installation can be done without removal.

thanks mark/paul

the instructions whut come wif it didn't say nuffin' about takin' the tank off or movin' it around..

not a big deal but if you're not too smart like me it woulda made it simpler to figger out where to stick it.

thanks, genamins...i'm headed out to the garage.

"The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself."
Oscar Wilde

It's not you....A friend of mine gave me a BP to try, his a Hex/Cam and mine an F800. A lot of digging shows that it should be the same device but the relevant instructions, no doubt, were written by someone that has done the install many times and forgotten to mention the "little things" :banghead

Since every R tank config is different...I wouldn't have thought you had to go that far...the airbox is more exposed on the RT & GS when you pull the covers off.

my bike

8067881413_d242be4888_b.jpg
]

looks like i can get at it leaving fuel and electric lines connected. be nice to have an extra set of hands, though.
8068076425_f3029d60d8_c.jpg

8068077575_57c4a72cdc_c.jpg

probably should be doing this this AFTER the 6k mi check. anybody think i should tell the dealer the PB is in there? i'm inclined not to mention it.

Last edited:
My dealer did not have any issues with the BP on mt RT.
The tech that did the service and short road test actually commented on how smooth the bike was.
I agreed. :thumb

well, i slaved it it and cranked it up

idles at 1100 (cold) rpm or about 100 rpm higher than before. ain't buttoned it up and took it out yet. sposed ta rain tomorrow.

probably should be doing this this AFTER the 6k mi check. anybody think i should tell the dealer the PB is in there? i'm inclined not to mention it.
I'm about to do my 24K mile service and was thinking the same thing. I'm concerned that they would "detune" the bike if they don't know it's in there. (I picture them hooking up the computer, seeing that the bike was not within regular specs and detuning it.) Any thoughts?

I'm about to do my 24K mile service and was thinking the same thing. I'm concerned that they would "detune" the bike if they don't know it's in there. (I picture them hooking up the computer, seeing that the bike was not within regular specs and detuning it.) Any thoughts?

That is a great question. I will email the folks at BT and get an answer. I'll post it when they respond.

Here is the responce to your question from Booster Plug.

The short answer is that you can just leave the BoosterPlug installed when you take your bike to service. There's nothing anyone can do to cancel the effect of our device. Period.

Here's the long and more technical version:

ÔÇóAs you probably know, the BoosterPlug basically works by telling the Fuel Injection Computer that the weather is colder than the actual temperature.
ÔÇóWhen the temperature drops, the air molecules sticks closer together, meaning that there's more air molecules in a gallon of air in low temperatures than in hot weather. This means that the Computer must inject more fuel in low temperatures to keep the same Air/Fuel Ratio.
ÔÇóThe good thing here is that the characteristics of air molecules behavior is well known, and this characteristics is preprogrammed into the Fuel Injection Computer to make it possible to compensate the mixture in colder weather. I've checked a lot of different brands of Fuel Injection Computers, and this compensation is always the same because it must follow the characteristics of the air that our engines (and we) breathe.
ÔÇóAs all engines obviously operate in the same kind of air (as there's only one kind), this compensation is never adjustable in any Fuel Injection Computer, and that's why it's not possible to detune the BoosterPlug.

I should probably also mention that tweaking the air temperature signal is not a new idea - this have been done as long as electronic fuel injection have been around.

The problem is just that the original Air Intake Temperature sensor is not a linear output device, so it's not that easy to come up with a solution that will provide the same fuel enrichment in different ambient temperatures.

This is where the BoosterPlug really stand head and shoulders above the hobby solutions.

Great question and I think I understand the answer.
You can email them direct from their web site if you have other concerns. They have alswas bee very prompt with me.:thumb

Hey Pipestone,
Where do you have the termistor ( temp sensor ) placed. I see it in the pic, is that where you leave it?

Pipestone, so what do you notice in performance on your 2011 RT. I have been thinking about doing this but what improvements do you actually notice?

any problem with stickin' the BP temp sensor here?

8074930770_b84ed2a540_c.jpg

put about 25 miles on it today... temp about 60 degrees. can't really say i notice much of a difference. might have been a bit smoother off the line and at slow speed in second and third. i did notice a definete aroma during idle warm up... probably unburned fuel due to the richer f/a ratio.

Last edited:
Its just what everybody says it is..for me a big A+ in all around drive ability..I run a Remus exhaust w/baffle in.

I'm a very happy customer:thumb

If you don't like it ..which I doubt..unplug it and sell.

I read like you once about this product..best upgrade I made to the RT

Just what I think:dunno

Back