• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1998 R1100R System cases

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
I posted a question in "Gear" and about 90 folks have looked at it without an answer. Jeeze- I can't believe I stumped the experts who lurk there. I'm going to ask the same question here thinking there may be a different group of experts.
I am in AZ (winter is summer here!) and away from my "new" R1100R which is in NH enduring the cold in my garage. All my camping gear is here and I want to put together a kit to camp out of the system cases. As backpackers get everything into a 50 liter pack I reasoned I could get all I need into the two system cases which hold 56 liters total and not bungee on a bunch of stuff. I think it can be done. Here is the problem. Some objects are too long for the cases.
What is the length that will go? I think I've found a chair that will, but no tent with poles short enough. I can get some extra poles and make a set with more but shorter segments. How long?
Would someone with a system case handy measure it and let me know what will fit?
Thanks
Ralph

I measured my 1100RT system cases which I think are the same as the ones for your bike.

The longest distance for tent poles would be to put them in diagonally. This will probably interfere with putting other items in the bag though. Distance is just over 19".

Realistically the best spot to put poles in there is straight across under the latch bump. Distance there is 16".

You can get custom aluminum poles made to replace your original ones at any decent camping store like REI but they are not cheap and often not really as strong as the longer ones.

A Kermit chair will not fit in a system bag. This one will: http://www.fullthrottlecamping.com/Accessories/MonarchButterflyCampChair It's a lot lighter than a Kermit, easy to set up and very comfy. Not as comfy or classy as a Kermit but a very decent trade off IMO.

I carry my poles and some other stuff in a rubber Ortlieb bag on the back seat.

I can attest that backpackers do not "get everything" into their pack,esp. tent poles. In fact when a couple backpack the tent is often one item that is carried by both,i.e., split with one carrying the poles, the other the shell. I'd look for a tent that does the job for you well based on season,price,size,etc.. Plenty of tent threads here to search, that's for sure. My Kelty is perfect for a bike trip camper but slightly large for one person to carry for many days when packing on your back. To me the perfect MC tent is larger than the perfect backpack tent as obviously the bike gets the load. I think your after the wrong solution.

The Eureka Solitaire is light and will fit inside a system case. I bought it specifically for traveling light on the the bike. I use it with an old thin thermorest pad and a 40 degree down bag that packs small as well. The downsides to the tent include needing to be staked (it isn't self supporting) and it doesn't breath well. You can count on it being damp inside if you need to use the integrated rain fly. It will keep you from getting rained on, but you won't be completely dry. Still, I like it and serves its purpose at a low price.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...dn=Sleeps&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.12669395

I have a two man Eureka, a 3 man Big Agnes and a third, even bigger tent. Any one of these tents fit into my 50 litre GIVI top box, complete with poles and with space left over for a camera bag and other stuff. As I recall the GIVI is 20" in width. Getting everything in the side cases is (usually) more than I can do.

I totally understand the idea of getting everything in the system cases, but when I was buying camping gear, that wasn't one of the factors.

I try to strategically get all of the smaller stuff in the sidecases, including any extra clothes I may need. I've got a Eureka tent that packs up pretty small, but not small enough to fit into a side case. I picked up a yellow waterproof "float bag" from Walmart that carries my sleeping bag and sleeping pad. The tent, poles, and stakes are packed into its back and I strap the float bag and the tent onto the rear rack. I use regular, lighter duty tie down straps, NOT bungies.

I guess to me, I don't mind not being able to get everything in the system cases, especially something like a chair.

I'm Close!

I think I've got it: Gear size for Motorcycle Camping
Size in cm
Length/Dia Width Height Shape Volume in Liters Notes Price/Cost Source
Volume of System Cases 56.0
Tent TexSport Saguaro $29.00 Amazon/Camping Station
Fabric pkg 12 40 cyl 4.5 $0.00 See Tent
poles 3 46 cyl 0.3 BTW 46 cm=18 in $0.00 See tent/poles free from Texsport!
nylon tarp/line 5 10 16 rec 0.8 $9.99 Walmart 5X7 nylon
Sleeping Bag 19 30 cyl 8.5 SwissSport Ultra compact $27.24 Amazon
Pillow/beanie 15 23 cyl 4.1 compressed $5.00 Walmart
Mat- Thermarest 18 28 cyl 7.1 Thermarest Medium Trail Lite $52.50 Amazon
Kitchen:
stove/pots 10 16 cyl 1.3 JetBoil/Svea $40.50 JetBoil/Svea
extras 14 5 21 rec 1.5 $1.00 Dollar store
catch all 10 20 cyl. 1.6
First Aid 10 9 2.5 rec 0.2 $1.00 Dollar store w/added items
Toiletries 6 12.5 20 rec 1.5 $1.00 Dollar store
Bathroom/scoop 6 5 14 cyl 3.0
Chair 10 38 cyl 3.0 $58.68 REI Flex Lite chair -15% coupon
Tools 14 5 21 rec 1.5
Food 20 30 cyl 9.9 Use Green stuff sack Walmart 5 meals
Clothes 20 30 cyl 9.9 Use Yellow&Blue stuff sack
Total 56.0 Liters

In Tank Bag 20 25 13 rec 6.5
Rain Suit Have
GPS TomTom 130 Have
Maps Free
Camera Pentax Optio S50 Have
Snacks
Sub total 0.0

Here it is. I had some camping gear but bought the tent, sleeping pad, chair, tarp and some small items to have smaller volume. The tent maker Texsport is sending me a set of replacement poles so that i can cut enough 16-18 inch pieces to make the total. They did not charge for the replacement poles when they heard what I was doing... not even shipping! I have measured everything in cm and calculated the volume in Liters and am working towards the published 56 liters of two system cases... 31L for the right one and 25 L for the left. The beauty of this is most of this stuff is flexible and can fit around the shape of the cases. The tank bag is filled at home already with most of those items (except the camera and snacks)
I know some of this is "inexpensive" camping gear but I am not using it to go cross country but to go to events and weekend trips. I don't understand the comments that this is not the way to go or that it wouldn't fit in a backpack. There are tents with poles less than this length. They are VERY expensive expedition equipment and I didn't think I needed it. Notice I have about 10 liters of space for food and 10 more for clothes. I think it will work. Thanks for checking this out. Sorry my spreadsheet will not format correctly. If there are two size measurements the object is a cylinder (pi XRsq XH and those with three are rectangles LXWXH and 1000cu cm=1 Liter just like our engines!

Check out REI

I measured my 1100RT system cases which I think are the same as the ones for your bike.

The longest distance for tent poles would be to put them in diagonally. This will probably interfere with putting other items in the bag though. Distance is just over 19".
A Kermit chair will not fit in a system bag. This one will: http://www.fullthrottlecamping.com/Accessories/MonarchButterflyCampChair It's a lot lighter than a Kermit, easy to set up and very comfy. Not as comfy or classy as a Kermit but a very decent trade off IMO.
Flex Chair- it fits and is way cool too. http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair The 16-18 inches is what I am using! Thanks for the help.
Most of us who have hiked and backpacked a bunch have a kit like this in the trunk of the car, called a BUG OUT BAG. That's what I'm trying to get to... a kit of stuff in my bags that when I put them on my bike I can leave in a moment. I know you can do that after strapping the stuff on too but I just had to try. If you are at any NE- US events this summer look for the R1100R in black pinstripes (old School Look) the bright yellow Shoei (all the better to see you with my dear) and with no apparent camping gear arriving at the campground. See You... Ride Safely.
Ralph

The difference between the Helinox and Flex chair is the thickness of the aluminum poles. 250 vs 320 lb rating. Same design though.

Probably I shoulda

The difference between the Helinox and Flex chair is the thickness of the aluminum poles. 250 vs 320 lb rating. Same design though.

The helinox does seem better and I may regret the choice. I had heard it was $120 and I didn't search enough to find it for $90. The REI Flex-Lite is a bit less expensive at $65 and I had a coupon so it was only $55+tax. I'm just over 180 lbs so either should be strong enough but chairs tend to weaken over time and stronger is always better. BTW I emailed Kermit Chair and Tom did say theirs would fit my old cases on my R80RT. I promised him if a redesign got their chair to <18 inches I would buy the first prototype and test it.

Back