• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 R1100R died while riding and wont start

fanman415

I was out for a labor day ride made it about 45 miles from home got off the highway to enjoy back roads cruising and the bike stalled while riding along in 3rd at about 30-35mph quickly pulled the clutch and coasted , I then downshifted into 2nd and popped the clutch and she fired back up and went for another2miles or less and just died. It turns over fine and the kickstand kill switch seems to work (i can hear the pump prime when retracted )I coasted onto a side street and nothing, pulled a plug To see if I flooded it while trying to turn it over and it was dry, checked to see if there was a spark and nothing. I did feel a burp about a week ago while riding just motoring along at about 4500 rpm and she just seemed to quit momentarily, then just resumed riding?? This time she wont start no spark and apparently no gas. I do have fuel in the tank so I'm like what gives here? Thinking ignition module or some sort of short. Had to go get the girl in my pickup made for a very unhappy labor day. Anybody got any ideas??

HES?
How was the weather, really hot, or really wet?
Have you ever replaced the Hall Effect Sensor?

dead

"..No spark and no gas sounds like the HES.." Yes, usually, but HES problems frequently still have fuel and spark...they just come at the wrong time. The HES can sometimes be diagnosed by watching the tach while trying to start the bike. If the tach jumps around, then definitely the HES is bad.

Check your fuses also, but it will probably be the HES.

The same thing happened to me last year on Memorial Day. Replaced the HES(Hall Effect Sensor) and all has been well since. It is a fairly straight forward DYI project, but the part is pricey.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys

Your the best after asking about possible issues I did in fact settle on this little bugger and Viola it worked I found some very informative postings on different sites and was able to pull it off without a hitch! Thanks to all!

Back