• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacement Exhaust R100RT Question

rapz

I have a 1979 R100RT and I have removed the exhaust, originally just to clean it up, but I noticed quite a bit of rust on the mufflers and the exhaust headers have had the rear cross pipe ports welded shut. I think this was done to accomodate installation of the Reynolds Ride-Off Center Stand, but not sure. I'm wondering how this affects performance? I noticed the mufflers also weigh a lot. Any replacement recommendations? I posted lots of pictures on my blog. Thanks!

Attachments

• RT 100 Exhaust.jpg
    RT 100 Exhaust.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 80
J.C. Whitney has the Emgo exhausts for BMW airheads. Look is identical to OEM, easy installation and quiet. If you are looking to replace the headers I would try the internet auctions.

Not an issue, but just for information's sake:
Some years of R100s had a "resonator" chamber ahead of the mufflers; it kinda looked like what became the catalytic converter on later models but was just another muffler. Going through it front-to-back on both sides with a half-inch drill, and setting the needles one step richer, sure made 'em run a lot better with very little increase in noise.
A few of the automotive performance parts manufacturers have plots that show a second cross-over in the right place does provide a small performance increase.

Back