• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R1200RT Corbin Low Seat

I bought one and really like it. Luckily, I live about three hours away from their factory. After about 2,000 miles I went back to soften it up and to shave a little off the sides. The seat wasn't rock hard like the old ones, but it was easy to ride in and have them adjust the seat. If you get a backrest, I suggest going on ebay and getting a comparable one for a lot cheaper.

One thing that bothers me is the heating switch. You have to turn it off when you turn off your engine. If you don't, it will stay on as it is not connected to the internal bike electronics.

I have 10,000 miles on mine. The stock low seat was torture for me after an hour in the saddle. The Corbin low is as comfortable as any saddle I've ever owned.:thumb
That said, when I first tried to put the seat on my bike, the fit was so tight that I had to do a lot of fiddling around to get it to latch. It seems to be a common problem with Corbin seats. They say it's because they build their seats to such close tolerances. Maybe so....:dunno

corbin seat

I have about 5000 miles on mine,I like it.It was a little hard to get on.but customer service was really good.

corbin low seat R12RT

Many thanks barry5k , themayer , and galaxie for your replys . I think that I will make the buy .

Corbin Low Seat Height compared to the Extra Low OEM 1-piece seat?

You can either wire to the stock heater wiring or use a switched source for the heater. Either way it will switch off when you turn the bike off.

Stock wiring instructions are in my blog (see below).

tsp
blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

I have just about every combination of RT seats for my 2012 RT, and yet I am still searching... My bike came with the Regular 2-piece heated seats, and before I took delivery, I purchased the 1-piece Extra-Low seat. This seat provides a very comfortable ground reach for me, but I cannot ride it for more than a few hours before my rear starts complaining.

After a few thousand miles with it, I sent Rick Mayer the original seat that came with the RT to have him rework it. It is very comfortable, gives me my heated seats (nice for the chilly mornings and when we ride up north!) but it raised my seat height to the point where I am back on my tippy toes. :banghead

Has anyone here had an opportunity to compare the ground reach between the OEM Extra low 1-piece seat and the Corbin Low 1-piece seat?

I test rode the new GTL today with the low seat height of 29.5" and I was flat-footed with the settings on "comfort" and "one helmet."

Anyone...? Anyone...?

Steve

I have just about every combination of RT seats for my 2012 RT, and yet I am still searching... My bike came with the Regular 2-piece heated seats, and before I took delivery, I purchased the 1-piece Extra-Low seat. This seat provides a very comfortable ground reach for me, but I cannot ride it for more than a few hours before my rear starts complaining.

After a few thousand miles with it, I sent Rick Mayer the original seat that came with the RT to have him rework it. It is very comfortable, gives me my heated seats (nice for the chilly mornings and when we ride up north!) but it raised my seat height to the point where I am back on my tippy toes. :banghead

Has anyone here had an opportunity to compare the ground reach between the OEM Extra low 1-piece seat and the Corbin Low 1-piece seat?

I test rode the new GTL today with the low seat height of 29.5" and I was flat-footed with the settings on "comfort" and "one helmet."

Anyone...? Anyone...?

Steve

what about having rick mayer work on the 1-piece extra-low?

what about having rick mayer work on the 1-piece extra-low?

Not really an option for me at this point... I'll just leave it at that. Besides, there is no way for him to add heat to the extra low seat unless I send him BOTH of my current seats to harvest the parts from rendering my RT unrideable for who knows how long... just not an option.

hmmm, ok.

well i'm of no help but in the least i got some data info that i'm sure u've already seen:

BMW Standard (set on low position): 32.3 inches (this is the one you had rick mayer make and it raised that up?)
BMW Low Seat (set on low position): 30.7 inches (30 3/4 inch?)
BMW Extra Low Seat Height: 30.1 inches (This is the one piece that you said is a torture device)
BMW Comfort Seat: 30.9 inches (might as well call it 31 inches)

Corbin seat mentions its a smidge shorter than the low seat so maybe 30.5 ?

if you were comfortable with the the standard set on low position, then maybe the corbin would be fine. It may be worth looking into the comfort seat as well - it comes with heat.

there's also sargent low seat (30.7 at low setting, comes with heat) http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/BMW-R1200RT-Low-Integrated-Heat/

Sargent offers a 30 day money back guarantee (there's a 10% restocking fee tho) on direct orders (non custom), corbin does not.

also of note is my friend has a corbin on his Concours 14 and it was really hard :/ already had several thousand miles on that saddle too. The sargent on my f800st broke in nicely within a thousand miles. (i have the sargent on order; should be here next week).

Back