• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1990 k1 bike ?

E.L. Buff

I had an offer to buy a 1990 K1 WITH 8000 MILES ON IT .
It has been setting for years and years.
I know it needs work and what kind of work to do, already did it on my 85 K100rt.
it to set for years.
I would like to hear from owners of a K1 how is it to ride what about power
are they hard to work on things like that.
And how is the resale price taking into account $3000 to buy and price of parts.
I don t mind the labor it is a hobby not a job and if I like it may add it to the stable.
Thanks Ernie

3K for a 8,000 mile '90 K1 is a good price. You will not lose any money. Difficult to say, however, what you are facing with the bike having sat for years. depending on how it was prepared for storage.
Riding a K1 is not the most comfortable thing to do. The footpeg-seat-handlebar triangle is rather cramped. If you are relatively tall ( I am only 5'8") you may need to consider raising the seat or use a footpeg relocation kit. The driver pegs are too high and too far foward. A typical problem for two-seater bikes that have a sporty approach. The footpegs need to be high in order to provide clearance for a lean angle and the move forward in order to provide room for the passenger pegs, allt hat resulting in a cramped position for your legs.
If you have a flying brick, you know all about the mechanical issues, I would think.
The power band on the 4-valve 1000 has a recognizable low spot in the mid-range which was remedied with the 1100. Some help may be a different chip/module and the use of Euro-spec cams, which were slightly more agressive.
But overall, the original K1 provides plenty of performance for a nice rides, even two-up.
I don't think you are buying it for track days, are you?

Thanks Mike
No track days for me I got away with to much wild riding in my younger days.
Now a grandfather just ride for joy Have a 03 K1200lt for me and Mom.
Just looking to add something sporty for me to ride solo. Sold my 85 K100rt
when I got the Lt now miss having a smaller bike and I like to make an old bikes
run again . I thought more people would jump on this post.
Ernie

K1

I've never ridden this beautiful bike - but be prepared to gather admiring onlookers everytime you ride it.

And they'll never belive that the bike is actually 22 years old!:thumb

FWIW I was offered a K1 and the price was over twice what you are paying. There seems to be almost a cult like following for the K1. Not liked by everyone, but some people love it.

Their turning radius is notorious for being very large.

But they were designed for the autobahn, not parking lots!

I would love to own one, but they weren't designed ergonomicaly for a person my size and with my lack of flexibility. Plus there's not enough room in my shop for another bike (especially since I'd also have to be sleeping out there if my wife finds out that I bought another bike).

I always bought that front fender was butt ugly UNTIL I saw it from the angle that the wind sees it. Now I get it. Awesome!

Buy it!

:dance:dance:dance

I now know what you mean about the wife thing.
Just told mine today I was going to get it ( for resale ) haha
I just cant wait til spring to ride it I will be all winter changing my
K1200lt frame and rebuilding the K1
Ernie

I've owned a '90 K1 since 1991. It is the quickest-steering BMW I've ever ridden. I love the thing enough to have ridden it 280,000 miles. It's a pain to work on, but no worse than my K1200RS.

Quick-yes. Tight-no. U-turns are not its forte.

But who buys a bike based on its U-turn performance?:dunno

I don t have it yet trying to get it around the end of November .
I will post pictures when I start the fix up with questions I know.
By the way it is Blue and Yellow with the big yellow k1 across the side.
What a head turner this bike will get a lot of looks and what is it questions .
I got way more compliments about my 85 K100Rt thin I get with my 03K1200Lt
Ernie

I just bought a 91 K-1 (black) At one time I had a 91K100rs but I have a few question if anyone can answer for me. How many K-1's were made in 91? What is the ABS switch for on the left side of the faring; why are there 2 emergency flasher buttons; can the compartment keys be keyed alike...I didn't see a way to remove the tumblers to the compartment in the faring on the right side; any idea where I can get an owners manual. I'm told they are no longer available form BMW.
Thanks for any info you can share.

Paul

Paul: the U.S. versions of the 1991 K1 were:
U.S. Production Jul90 –Aug 90 110 Bikes 6365407 -6365516

The color, although Classic Schwarz in German was more of a really dark charcoal.
It came from the factory without the silver fairing and front fender decals. They could be special ordered.

Did you buy the bike from a gentleman in the Cleveland, Ohio area?
I saw that bike and can tell you a few of my observations.

Originally, the rear compartments use the same key as the ignition. The tumblers can be replaced, but they each come with their own key.
If your keys are different, the locks or complete covers were replaced.
The ABS switch is there to disable/turn off the ABS function
Not so sure what you mean with two hazard flasher switches. Mine has only one.

ABS Switch

A question was asked about the ABS switch on the dash pad of the K1. I've never owned a K1, but assume it's the same as was used on the K100s and K1100s. In that case, the switch DOES NOT turn off the ABS system. Word is the lawyers would not allow that.
When ABS defaults, or doesn't engage on take off, the ABS lights in the instrument pod will flash in warning. All that the switch does is stop the flashing. It has no effect on the functioning of the ABS itself. From memory, I believe one of the ABS lights stays lit. After some time/distance, the lights return to flashing mode.
It appears that with this Gen 1 ABS system, BMW was planning for a fair amount of defaults.

And I believe it is a momentary switch that only turns off the light for 10 minutes at a time. The idea is to get rid of the very distracting light if you were driving at night, but not let you forget that it was not working. Hopefully the trip home at night would be a short one because resetting the light every 10 minutes would be a PITA.

I just bought a 91 K-1 (black) At one time I had a 91K100rs but I have a few question if anyone can answer for me. How many K-1's were made in 91? What is the ABS switch for on the left side of the faring; why are there 2 emergency flasher buttons; can the compartment keys be keyed alike...I didn't see a way to remove the tumblers to the compartment in the faring on the right side; any idea where I can get an owners manual. I'm told they are no longer available form BMW.
Thanks for any info you can share.

Paul

The second hazard switch is, or was, probably used for an accesory. The compartment locks were originally keyed alike and matched the ignition key. These locks are identical to the seat locks on Airheads. They can be coded, but it's a real pain for the amateur. Find a real locksmith; he or she will code them far easier than we ever could.

Back