• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Completed SS1K

ScottM

Motoring Malcontent
Well I finally completed my SS1k a couple of weekends ago. The LD Riders Forum was organizing the ride in several states (15 or so). They took the recipes and sent them in to Ironbutt. All I had to do was get there and ride.

Left SF Bay area for LA (Temecula) area on Friday. About 500 miles, I guess a pretty good warm up for the Saturdays ride.

Up Saturday at 4:30 am to get to the check in point by 5:00. Got the witness form signed and was off. First mandatory gas stop in Barstow, CA.

Weather was pretty changable on this trip. Up over Cahon Pass was chilly (was going to say cold but it was only about 58). I had on mesh gear expecting heat in the desert all day. It rained a bit and then into the Mojave Desert's bright morning sun. By Barstow it was warming up nicely.

Stopped in Needles for gas and a quick bite. Temps around 95 and the gas was $3.199 per gallon. And I thought the Bay area was bad! On through Kingman, AZ to Flagstaff. Climbing up into Flagstaff, I had to stop and break out more serious weather gear. Things just let loose! Lightning, rain, hail, wind.

Gas in Flagstaff and South towards Phoenix. It was about 55 and thundershowers and 30 minutes later in was 95. Pealed off the heavy gear and back into the mesh. In Phoenix it was about 105. Felt like I was driving in a furnace.

Out of Phoenix, south to I8 and across to Yuma. Kind of like the wide open spaces of the desert. Pretty windy though. Gased up in Yuma and up over the mountains to get to San Diego. Temps dropped from 85 in the valley to below 60 and windy and foggy in the mountains.

Gased up in San Diego and back up I15 to Temecula. Finished at just after midnight. Total miles by my odometer was 1138 (including a missed turn in Barstow! Vegas was a bit out of my way)

To bed and up in the morning for the 500 miles home. The last 250 miles from Bakersfield home was the hardest. But all in all, it was a pretty easy trip. Now looking at doing the four corners. Who knows, maybe I'll tie it in with the National next year.

Sorry about no pictures! Just losts of Smiles.

job well done

ScottM said:
Well I finally completed my SS1k a couple of weekends ago. The LD Riders Forum was organizing the ride in several states (15 or so). They took the recipes and sent them in to Ironbutt. All I had to do was get there and ride.

Sorry about no pictures! Just losts of Smiles.

Congratulations on your ride! I guess you have earned an Iron Butt plate frame.
Gas at 3.19 per gallon, I suppose you had a bit of a time travel expierence as we will all be seeing that in the future.

Sweet! Did you see Rich Loving on that ride? He was on his Graphitan GS, I believe.

KBasa said:
Sweet! Did you see Rich Loving on that ride? He was on his Graphitan GS, I believe.

No, or at least I didn't meet him before we started. About 30 did the ride including to guys on KTMs. Kudos to them. :thumb

Did meet our mileage winners from last year. They finished before they opened the final check point back up at 9:00 pm. Guess the fuel cells really make a difference.

Congrats on your ride ScottM!!! Keep us posted on your next adventures in LD Riding!

Back