• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What helps you to decide whether to attend the National or not

What would help influence your decision to attend the National Rally

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

SNOONE

I am curious.. If you are on the edge of going or not going to the National, what would influence your decision to go?

Last edited:
None of the above.

Proximity to my house.

Unfortunately I don't have the time at this stage in my life to travel across the country to a rally.

So if they are within a day or maybe two days ride I try to make it.

Someday that will change.

I agree that total distance from home is the number 1 consideration. I'm only going to travel a long distance, using lots of valuable vacation time, if there's great riding once I get there. Personally, the entertainment/musical acts is not very important. There are other venues to hear great acts with better acoustics, more comfort, etc.

Ditto

I agree that total distance from home is the number 1 consideration. I'm only going to travel a long distance, using lots of valuable vacation time, if there's great riding once I get there. Personally, the entertainment/musical acts is not very important. There are other venues to hear great acts with better acoustics, more comfort, etc.

+1

I seem to go regardless - I have been to every national since Missoula 1 in 1984 except Moodus, when I had changed jobs and had zero vacation - but the only thing that has made a rally a "bad" rally for me is the weather. Heat, or heat and humidity. Second place goes to congestion. If I have to fight my way across the rust belt to get there I may be forced to take the long way around to get there - or not go!

None of the Above also

Proximity to my house.

Unfortunately I don't have the time at this stage in my life to travel across the country to a rally.

So if they are within a day or maybe two days ride I try to make it.

Someday that will change.

It's the Available Time/Distance From Home equation more than anything.

Attended my first (and only) rally in VT, and had a GREAT time! Conveniently, it coincided with my week long trip with non-BMW friends and I attended alone. Volunteered a bunch, attended ERC, did demo rides and met a bunch of MOA and Chromeheads forum members.

Happened to be in a great riding area, camped with Sherpa Ted and enjoyed fantastic entertainment. The "experience" and atmosphere is what will get me back, vendors, displays and seminars. Most important was sharing the cameraderie and fun time with new friends who will be old friends next time.

Looking forward to attending my next one. Unfortunately, it won't be in 2008.

Definitely enjoyed the major musical lineup and support their future! Great job Freidle!

Hi Snoone, see you tomorrow at the Big GIG! :wave

Last edited:
My personal "poll" list would include:

Good camping area with shade?
Good seminar facilities?
On-site dealer services?
Good variety of quality inexpensive on-site food?
Good restaurants nearby?

If the poll that started this thread had the key 10 or 15 things that different people are looking for in a rally then it might prove useful for decision making and site selection. But narrowly drawn as it is, all it is going to do is "prove" that riding is more important for a rally than music. Big whoop! If we didn't know that, we could all take the bus on down to the state fair when the state has a state fair and see real acts. Or go to the symphony. Or the closest bluegrass festival.

As for "wind." Of course the great plains and coastal areas are windy. So lets all go to the crammed and jammed and congested dreary little places with tall trees and 45 mph speed limits on the 2 lane roads, and towns spaced every 3 miles. Makes for great riding there without wind. Yessiree!

I agree 100%

snoone - i can add choices to the poll if you like, such as the one reflected strongly here - "proximity to home."

lemme know.

I would love to ride out to Wyoming, but the time and expense to get there from Upstate NY would be too much. I only get two weeks off a year!

My first rally was in VT as well and my wife and I had a great time.

We'll go again someday.

I have to be able to do it in a week. Other than that, the people make the event. The rest is gravy.

Pole

1. One persons Great Musical Act is anothers HORRIFIC NIGHTMARE!
2. N/A. I tent.
3. What is Qaulity Riding? And why is proximity to anything so important?
My Dad used to say,"We're here, now go find somethin' to do
or I'll smack ya." In other words, go experience what THIS place has to
offer. You may never get another chance.
4. 90 degrees, cloudless sky, gimme a breeze. Rain,Hale and Tornadoes,
Gimme Shelter.

Hope to see you there.

Rally

Okay,

Assuming the rally is not held in the snow, I guess the deciding factors for me in order of importance:

1. Location If I have to ride too far for the rally, it would probably not make my list. As
an example, I live in Ohio, USUALLY, I would not attend the rally if it were
held in California (but who knows)

2. Cost If I have to pay $200 a night for a cheap motel, probably not. I like to
camp, but the fiance doesn't. If you're married, you know how it is.

3. Riding If the rally is in a flat, boring location, nix

4. Weather If the rally is held in an area of terrible weather, nope. Like Death Valley in
the summer. The rally is supposed to be fun, not a chore.

There you have it..... :brad

Last edited:
Okay,

Assuming the rally is not held in the snow, I guess the deciding factors for me in order of importance:

1. Location If I have to ride too far for the rally, it would probably not make my list. As
an example, I live in Ohio, USUALLY, I would not attend the rally if it were
held in California (but who knows)

2. Cost If I have to pay $200 a night for a cheap motel, probably not. I like to
camp, but the wife doesn't. If you're married, you know how it is.

3. Riding If the rally is in a flat, boring location, nix

4. Weather If the rally is held in an area of terrible weather, nope. Like Death Valley in
the summer. The rally is supposed to be fun, not a chore.

There you have it..... :brad

I think you got it exactly right for many of us.

Probably not the right person to ask...

I've been to exactly ONE national; the one in West Bend. For me, it was a no-brainer, as it was an easy ride for me here in Minnesota over to West Bend. I chose distance to the rally, as that is exactly what determined my attendance.

However, I had a very good time at West Bend. The weather was phenomenal, the camraderie was fantastic, and for me, all things rally-related were very good.

I'm going to make every effort to attend the rally in Gillette. It's more than twice as far for me, but still not all that far. I'll also get the opportunity to visit family and friends during the trip, which is a plus.

Would I go if the rally if it were on one of the coasts in 2008? Probably not, due to family priorities and amount of vacation time that I'd want to use on a rally. Maybe in a few years, I'll be able to attend a national ANYWHERE, but not in 2008.

I am curious.. If you are on the edge of going or not going to the National, what would influence your decision to go?

Distance, at least until I retire, or hit Mega Bucks, then I will not care how far away it is. For now about 1,500 miles is the limit. 2 travel days each way.

What helps you to decide whether to attend the National or not

My boss.

If the rally is a day away it's a no brainer.
If it's 5 days away, it's a major trip.
Some years the stars align, some years they don't.

2008 National Rally

If my son-in-law goes, so will I. This will be his second and my first. He was so excited about last year's rally, that I bought a R1100RT just for the trip. We even bought some BMW shirts. We are from Illinois so the distance is good and the location sounds cool.

Attachments

• BMWR1100RT.jpg
    BMWR1100RT.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 196
Back