• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gass from leaking carb on '89R100GS

jbarron4

I have had two unexplained leaks from one of the carbs on my '89 R100GS. It lasts for a few minutes with fuel leaking at a fairly constant rate and then stops, sometimes after I turn off the valve and back on--not sure? A dealer told me that this happens once in awhile and made it sound like it was no big deal--any thoughts?

Any time fuel is leaking IS a big deal. Drop the float bowl and clean out any trash that may be preventing the needle from shutting off the flow of fuel. The float itself may need replacing and or the needle and seat. Whatever it takes to make it seal properly.

Ride Safe,
Mike

leaky carb

I had that problem once. Pulled the needle valve and sure 'nuff a tiny bit of tank liner on the needle. I cleaned it off and replaced the needle, and no more leak. I then replaced the inline filter and cleaned the petcock filter. It was so crudded up I was surprised I could get any gas through at all.:doh

I had that problem once. Pulled the needle valve and sure 'nuff a tiny bit of tank liner on the needle. I cleaned it off and replaced the needle, and no more leak. I then replaced the inline filter and cleaned the petcock filter. It was so crudded up I was surprised I could get any gas through at all.:doh

+1 especially the needle valve. Also empty tank, and rinse out with ATF. See what comes out. Any ATF residue will burn fine.
Also, how are your floats? Are they fuel sodden? The ethanol attacks these, and they sink, letting too much fuel in.
If it were my bike, and I didn't know the recent history of the floats, I would replace both of them, along with the needle valves (which do wear), out of hand. This situation is unlikely to improve on its own

And carry spare carb bowl gaskets. Half the time I close up the bowls, the gasket gets pinched and leaks later on.

Your dealer doesn't think its a problem because HIS boots don't smell like gasoline.

Back