• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800GS 3500 maiden cruise

billy_b57

800 Gs 3500 mile ride
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My maiden voyage on this bike was from Eugene,Or to Phoenix Az.
My impression of this bike is it is a legit dual sport.
We left Eugene 03/15 in a 6 hr. downpour and then from Klammath Falls to Susanville it was 20-25 mph cross winds.
The bike handled all and in my mind the exception of the rear break when wet . That is something if you need to use will catch you off guard. It is useless with the 1 caliper set up.
We rode into D. Valley on Big Pine/Old D.V. road out of Bishop.
My first time off road on any bike to be honest .
It was great and until I hit 3" of gravel doing 50 was a breeze.
At that point the front end went ape and there I was trying to control a wild ape. I made it but it refocused my attention.
We rode Titus Canyon , again I'm a rookie on street tires.
T.C. took me a long time to complete in my opinion. The pass part was tight and in my mind I only wanted to get through it and do so w/o crashing or stalling the bike.
The last 3-4 Mi. of T.C. was 3-4" gravel and again the Front end was hard for me to control.
I then departed to Az. rode through Mojave N.P. I had family to visit in Phoenix after which I headed to Roosevelt Dam.
Apache road was 22 miles of hard pack , not too bad of a ride even though I was fully laoed with gear. I took off towards Sedona via camp verde.
Sedona to Jerome which by then was getting cold and elevation was about a mile high. I stayed at Prescott for the night and then headed for the Ca coast.
Lets say form this ride alone the bike is to me a 600 miler for a day.
After that ( i had 2 600-630) the back side is DONE!
My right wrist also became cramped at numerous intervals.( where is my GT cruise)
I have a Cee baily 16" screen but stock seat (low)
The screen for offroad in future will be removed , washboards just don't do it any justice.
I rode in 22 degree weather (Prescott) , constant downpours going/returning Oregon, winds 25 - 40 mph , out of Reno warning sign : trucks,semi's,rvs don't proceed ,high winds"
Does that apply to Motorcycles? I guess not we headed into it and survived .
On return up Or. coast 03/29 I experienced hard rain, sleet 3-4 times, and constant cross winds.
Neck and shoulders are still sore form the intense ride that day.
So 3 times off road off about 100 miles and 3400 asphalt with twisties included.
fuel average 50-55 , bikes ran great and 2-3 days I rode her 80-85 ALL DAY only stopping for gas.
Great bike and I now plan a set of TKC tires for my next on ride training.

Back