• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Advice - trip from Bellingham, WA to Tierra del Fuego

I'm beginning to think about taking a ride from Bellingham, WA to Tierra del Fuego and back next summer. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not a prize physical specimen -old and fat- and have an R1100RT with 50K miles on it. I don't really speak Spanish - un poco.

I'm looking for an interesting adventure; hopefully not too physical and not too dangerous. I don't have lots of money to spend. I've been going to Europe for a ride each summer, but that's getting too expensive for me with the declining value of the dollar - 10% so far since last summer. I'm guessing that a dollar will go a lot farther in Central and South America....

Thanks for any pointers,
Tom

I'll be happy to help anyway I can. Like Statdawg said the best place to start is horizinsunlimited... but feel free to contact me at salcar at hotmail dot com :type

regards,
S.

I am sure that there are some times in the year you don't want to be that far south....
Like north hemisphere summer.
Good luck!!!!

I'm beginning to think about taking a ride from Bellingham, WA to Tierra del Fuego and back next summer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for any pointers,
Tom

You mean like next Fall-Winter, you plan make a trip south to Tierra del Fuego and back before summer. Right?

:wave Chris

:wave Como Sal

Have fun Tom...

Thanks for the encouragment

:wave
Keep it coming! I'm talking to a friend about heading south with me. Can it be done on a Harely? Or, will he have to buy a GS?

This is great information. I'll definitely follow-up as I plan for a ride. I won't go it alone - as I do in Europe. And, I might figure on going down to Mexico or ??? south of the boarder to spend a few weeks working on my Spanish before I go further.

I'm planning on a year from now. Anyone got any ball park figures on the cost of this kind of trip - getting there and getting back to the States again?

Thanks again, Tom

Back