• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Be Seen!

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
With three great riding days and perfect weather behind me, I decided to do a bit of tinkering today seeing as it was a bit overcast.

So I cut some strips of 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930 and applied it to my GiVi cases behind the reflectors (after removing the white vinyl that GiVi applied).

I never bothered with the GiVi accessory lights after reading how problematic the contacts are. This is a far easier and better solution.

Left side: with 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930. Right side: with GiVi OEM white vinyl.

393360218_wchtp-L-1.jpg

3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930 applied to areas under both reflectors...

393360260_oay5a-L-1.jpg

I'll get around to doing the center section and handle next.

How to for GiVi E52 Maxia cases; others may be similar.

Last edited:
:clap That looks awesome. I have a GIVI case and thought the same thing about its reflective qualities, lacking. I will definitely try this out. Thanks.

:clap That looks awesome. I have a GIVI case and thought the same thing about its reflective qualities, lacking. I will definitely try this out. Thanks.

Yeah, not bad for $3 worth of reflective film making it money well spent.

The 12" x 24" sheet ran me $10 from a local road sign supplier.

Wow.

What a neat idea!

I don't have any topcases for my rides, but my wife has a Givi E340 on the back of her Vino 125. I'm definitely going to look into upgrading with the tape.

One member sent me a PM and asked...

Did you just take the lens off then just stick the reflector tape on back of the tail light....

this is neat and like to do my K1200LTC same

There are no tail lights on the GiVi bag, at least not on my mine, unless you meant the red reflector lenses.

Once the red reflector lenses are removed, you should find a white piece of adhesive vinyl stuck to the black plastic of the GiVi case itself.

Those strips of white vinyl were peeled off and the plastic under them was cleaned using alcohol to remove any oils, etc.

The reflective film does not get applied to the lenses, but to the GiVi case itself.

Check out the link at the bottom of the first post for detailed info.

Nice work Alex - very ingenious.

Actually another local rider's idea that I finally got around to implementing.

Applying that reflective film to the handle and center section of the reflector is a bit tricky and certainly more time consuming. But that applies to my GiVi E52 Maxia; other models and makes might be easier. I'll post details shortly.

3M Reflective Sheeting Sample Card

Last edited:
Good thread.:thumb I've been toying with the idea of reflective tape on the back and sides of my Vario bags for some time now.

And since going to the 3M web site, what I originally thought I was supplied with wasn't 3M SOLAS but 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930.

3M Reflective Sheeting Sample Card
Helpful little link. Thank you.

Okay, now from the Department of Silly Questions...

What is the difference in 3M Diamond, 3M High Intensity, 3M SOLAS, etc...? I've read threads here and in other forums extolling the virtues of 3M Diamond, and others about 3M SOLAS. Are they the same thing? Is SOLAS the manufacturer, or a grade of reflectivity? How about the term 3M or Diamond? Is everybody purchasing them from the manufacturer, internet sales, hardware stores, or some other place?

Please excuse my ignorance and seeming inability to know what's what.

Good thread.:thumb I've been toying with the idea of reflective tape on the back and sides of my Vario bags for some time now.

Helpful little link. Thank you.

Okay, now from the Department of Silly Questions...

What is the difference in 3M Diamond, 3M High Intensity, 3M SOLAS, etc...? I've read threads here and in other forums extolling the virtues of 3M Diamond, and others about 3M SOLAS. Are they the same thing? Is SOLAS the manufacturer, or a grade of reflectivity? How about the term 3M or Diamond? Is everybody purchasing them from the manufacturer, internet sales, hardware stores, or some other place?

Please excuse my ignorance and seeming inability to know what's what.

No sweat, I'm only just starting to understand what is out there in the way of reflective materials.

SOLAS: Safety Of Life At Sea

3M is a company that makes countless products...Scotchgard spray, etc.

I did read either on the 3M site or elsewhere that a "standard" has been set for road & traffic sign requirements in the USA and that 3M Diamond Grade^3 meet it. Google to get more info.

What are the differences in those products? I don't have a clue...yet. But I do like what I used because it is very durable.

I bought a 12" x 24" sheet from a company (Beacon Lite) that is in the business of renting/making those roadside pylons with reflective tape around them. You see them anywhere there is road construction. Also try marine supply stores.

I'll get around to doing the center section and handle next.

And the finished product with 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting behind all the reflectors on the GiVi E52 Maxia top case...

397313833_JaPGt-L.jpg

The reflective sheeting for the two reflectors in the handle and the center reflector were a bit more time consuming to cut to shape. I used the white plastic sheets within those sections that GiVi had installed, as guides.

Great idea. I wish we had a hall of wisdom similar to ADVRIDER to make this easier to access in the future.

Great idea. I wish we had a hall of wisdom similar to ADVRIDER to make this easier to access in the future.

All I did was create a folder in My Favorites called Technical Stuff for the various forum threads I came across over the years. Its also useful for finding your own tech threads so that you can update them.

But I know what you mean.

Thanks for the tip Alex. It only took a few minutes and wow, those red reflectors now reflect!

Any pics?

And what product did you end up using...3M SOLAS or 3M High Intensity Grade Reflective Sheeting...or something else?

BTW, I also got the car out and flashed my high beams at the back of my parked motorcycle which was parked further down the road. Yup! :thumb

Any pics?

And what product did you end up using...3M SOLAS or 3M High Intensity Grade Reflective Sheeting...or something else?:thumb

I used 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930. This is a picture of the bike before the Reflective sheeting was added.

BTW, I also got the car out and flashed my high beams at the back of my parked motorcycle which was parked further down the road. Yup! :thumb

Likewise. As well for the last four years I have the black 3M tape that shines white at night. My 50 litre GIVI doesn't have a reflector around the locking mechanism. You may have noticed that I forgot to lock the box; hence the white tape is not lined up in the photo.

The after photo with the reflective tape under the GIVI lenses. As well I have two sets of hyper lights; one set of two inside the bike's brake lens and two larger sets under the bike's brake lens. Took a video but have no idea how to upload it.

It is my intention to assist any inattentive driver behind me to take notice that I am in front of them and will do what I can to have them avoid rear ending me. My rear turn signals also operate as running lights.

Despite his rear hyper lights, JIMFASTCAR posted that he was rear ended last weekend.

Attachments

• Givi Reflectors 014.jpg
    Givi Reflectors 014.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 964
As well I have two sets of hyper lights; one set of two inside the bike's brake lens and two larger sets under the bike's brake lens. Took a video but have no idea how to upload it.

Try YouTube.

Despite his rear hyper lights, JIMFASTCAR posted that he was rear ended last weekend.

I take it that happend while trying to enter an onramp to the 401 just north of Ridgetown?

Back