• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Mount K1200LT

HAWKEYE62

I just bought a StreetRider III for my 2000 LT and am trying to decide between a RAM handlebar mount and some type of shelf mount on the dash. Looking for your experiences, opinions, and ideas on brands, installation, etc. Thanks, Ed Kolker

Ed,

I have a Street Pilot mounted on my K11. It is on a custom mount. I like this because it is up high and I can use the GPS and keep an eye on the road.

webkcpit.jpg

I looked at various handlebar mounts and what I did not like was that the GPS is out in the slipstream which may provide too much of a test to the watertight integrity of the unit (although I have never heard of one failing due to this) and with the unit mounted on the handlebar anytime you press buttons you *could* effect steering. Because I fancy myself as a LD rider I did not want this to be an issue when fatigued. Of course YMMV.

RCU makes a very nice shelf available at BMW of Salt Lake. For more see: http://www.bmwofsaltlake.com/rcu/rcuask1200lt.html

NB: It is very important that as more gizmos and gagets get mounted on bikes that we remain vigilant to the dangers of looking at a GPS, MP3, CB etc while riding. GPS's are IMO especially dangerous as one can "get lost" in the moment of using the device. On a long ride I always count out loud while using the GPS, i.e. one, two, look up, three. one, two look up, three... You get the idea. This is also why I like where mine is mounted.

As always YMMV.

I use a RAM mount for my StreetPilot on my R1100RS.
GPS%201.jpg

I have changed the setup a little since this picture. I moved the mount more to the left and built a new bracket to hold the GPS (similar to the Touratech mount), but the effect is much the same. This setup allows the GPS to sit up high enough so that it is not obstructed by my tank bag.

Note the tether strap just in case!

I put a GPS on my 2002 LT about a month ago. With my bad eyes the shelf over the gauges would not work well for me. My first thought was a RAM mount (Cycle Gadgets) located where a mirror would normaly be located on the handle bars. The mount was solid and within easy reach and those bad eyes of mine could focus well. After riding one Saturday it was discovered to be a problem. I found difficulty using my stock LT mirror, GPS blocking the view. Now to plan "B". Next I ordered a plate from BMR Products. This plate mounts just above the radio display. BMR markets this plate for a SIRUS radio. Using the RAM mount and shelf I found this the best place for my GPS. I would post a picture but it has been raining here in Virginia for five days. If I was to head toward the bike stable now many animals would follow looking for a boat ride!

Ckeck BMR's web site, good pictures and great customer service.

Good luck!

Dave Mitchell

2002 K1200LT
2002 R1200C

Rob Nye said:
Ed,

I have a Street Pilot mounted on my K11. It is on a custom mount. I like this because it is up high and I can use the GPS and keep an eye on the road.

<snip>

Hey Rob. Nice photo of the mount on your K11. I'm looking for some sort of mount for my Passport radar detector on my K11LT. Where did you get the mounting shown in the photo?

Thanks..

Went with the Co-Pilot

I decided on the co-pilot by BMR...now figuring out how to wire it is the next challenge for this mechanically challenged LT Flyer. Looks like there's a hole to the left of the map light which I hear is a favorite place to hook on, or directly to the power socket so the gps stays on when the motor is off. Suggestions, directions, are welcome. Thanks for your thoughts and recommends.

Back