• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 R1150RT Weird Electrical Problems

R

Ridesalot

I am posting this for my friend and it is a weird one (the problem not the friend!)

Rode home from work on monday nite shut bike off 2 hours later went for milk run
bike started no problem.....

no head light, no fog lights , windshield won't go up or down, no horn , no turn signals
no flashers............but the bike starts and runs FINE!!!!!!!!!!

we checked fuses horn fuse blown.... replace no horn

no more fuses blown
checked relays all work
checked main electrical box .............. did not remove ............ no burnt smell looked with a
mirror no burnt wires

he has ordered a Hayes manual for wiring diagrams ........... later this week

are we missing a master fuse or something ?

thanks in advance for your help

Ridesalot
2005 K1200LT

You've got yourself a real puzzle. no lights, no blinkers, yet the bike runs. I'm real interested in how this turns out. good luck...:lurk

OK I will bite and maybe someone can chime in here.
Ignition key area?
I remember having a vehicle (not MC) and having almost the exact thing happen.
Engine fine,, but all other things that were dependent on ignition on position were dead. -radio/turn signals/wipers/gauges- anything pertaining to power- ignition on..

Later found out the key cylinder/switch had a short.

worth looking at and might be a good place to start.

any other ideas?

Just had the exact problem recently tell him to check the load relief relay, ( the one that turns everything else off when he starts the bike.

He can test that ( and ride until he gets another relay) by swapping it with the horn relay.

Just had the exact problem recently tell him to check the load relief relay, ( the one that turns everything else off when he starts the bike.

He can test that ( and ride until he gets another relay) by swapping it with the horn relay.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
WHOOO HOOO YOU DE MAN

SWAPPED OUT THE HORN RELAY FOR THE LOAD RELIEF RELAY AND IT'S A GO !!!!!!

GREAT JOB THANKS A MILLION

I WILL MAKE HIM BUY YOU A BREW AT THE PENN RALLY (AS HE WON'T BE IN OREGON THIS YEAR ) :bottle:bottle:bottle:bottle:bottle

WHOOO HOOO YOU DE MAN

SWAPPED OUT THE HORN RELAY FOR THE LOAD RELIEF RELAY AND IT'S A GO !!!!!!

GREAT JOB THANKS A MILLION

I WILL MAKE HIM BUY YOU A BREW AT THE PENN RALLY (AS HE WON'T BE IN OREGON THIS YEAR ) :bottle:bottle:bottle:bottle:bottle

That is great! I learned it from Keith on SportTouring forum. Glad to be able to pass it on! LIFE IS GOOD!

Just had this exact problem happen while underway on '04 RT

Suddenly lost: Hi&Lo beams, fogs, turn signals, dash lights, horn, windscreen, heated grips

Unaffected: parking light, brake lights, entire RID display and backlight, neutral/ABS/general/voltage warning lights

The bike was running at the time and continued to start and run just fine. The starter/kill switch functioned normally. The brakes/ABS were fine.

All fuses checked OK. I suspected this wasn't a fuse problem and went right to the relays.

The yellow "Load Relief Relay" showed a discolored brownish burned appearance.

Switched it with the other yellow relay and the lights and everything came back. (Not sure what the other yellow relay controls which is listed as "not in use on some models, lighting relay (when in use)" per Haynes manual.

BMW part# "61.36-6 902 041" marked on the side of the relay along with Tyco and what is apparently their part #.

6199098934_a3ff252d70_z.jpg

Local dealer had one in stock when I gave the BMW Part #.

I had the same thing happen to me on my 02 RT about a year ago,It was that relay and it was about 20 dollars.

location?

Where is the Load Relief Relay located on the bike in case I need to look for it someday...thanks in advance.

Mark

Same thing happened to me riding at night in the rain. I was afraid to stop the bike for fear it wouldn't start again. I rode home in stealth mode. First thing I checked was the load relief relay. It just came out in my hand. Pushed it back in and bingo, all was happy again. I have no idea what caused it to come loose. I should have tried repairing it on the road, but like I said, I wasn't entirely sure I'd get it going again if that wasn't the problem.

This silly forum software will not let me attach a file here and says I've already attached a file in this thread however the file is actually in another thread here:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=53718

Just scroll down to Post #10 and grab the pdf file.

The file is a set of great wiring schematics for the 1150RT courtesy of Doug Raymond.

Just for visualization:

6198581423_af458d64c9_b.jpg

Facing towards the rear of the bike. My finger is pointing to it. Remember the opposite end of the red fuse puller works on these relays.

The other yellow relay on my bike (an 04 RT) is for the fog lights.

It takes a little bit of a push to get these to seat all the way into the locking tabs on the side of the relay. The conductive tabs, they will make contact, then you have to push a little further. It should click into place.

Back