• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW System 6 Helmets - Availability

C

cbck1200s

Thanks for all who gave feedback. I purchased a System 6 and I am experiencing some issues with it so I've started a new thread titled "System 6 Helmet Warranty Issues" thanks
cbcK1200S - Colin
:bikes

Last edited:
I think that it was 1991 when the last BMW helmets were sold in the USA.
It was the system 2. There was a big line waiting to get them at the BMWMOA rally in Flagstaff, AZ.

I was hoping they were going to reverse that trend with the new System 6...apparently the U.S. lawsuit mainia continues its rampant march towards total insanity...

BMW does not sell any helmets whatsoever in the U.S.

Since my original post I've been looking online and nope...I can't find one dealership that sells them. The clerk explained to me that BMW didn't want to go through the problems of getting them DOT approved so ergo they aren't in the US. Interestingly enough I've heard they are made by Schuberth (another great helmet) which is available in the US. Go figure!!
cbcK1200S - Colin

I was hoping they were going to reverse that trend with the new System 6...apparently the U.S. lawsuit mainia continues its rampant march towards total insanity...

Given that many states do not require helmets I wonder at the rationale behind the lawsuit issue. I wouldn't be caught dead without a helmet these days or should I say brain dead....so anything that's between me and the asphalt works for me.
cbcK1200S - Colin
:banghead

Given that many states do not require helmets I wonder at the rationale behind the lawsuit issue.

[cynical reply]
If you are wearing a helmet and if you are in an accident where there is head injury then obviously it is the helmet manufacturers fault. It must be. If the helmet were any good you'd not have any head injury. Since it is their fault they must pay. A lot. :deal
[/cynical reply]

Apparently there are enough folks in the US who believe the above... enough to cause headaches for the manufacturers. At least that's what is commonly reported. I haven' a clue if its a real problem or not.

My wife just ordered my the new ZUMO 665 for my birthday (pre-order, supposed to be delivered first week of May) and I want to finally go bluetooth. Looks like I'll have to go with a Nolan instead...

By the way newer Schuberth's are not available in the US. They will support the older helmets but no longer import.

As noted above, System helmets have not been available in the US for many years. My Canadian dealer said that it was due to BMW's aversion to selling helmets in the much more litigious US market.

Canadian dealers are under instructions from BMW Canada to ensure that no System helmets are sold to US customers under threat of having the helmets embargoed here as well. It's a product they want to carry, so they take the threat seriously.

...the U.S. lawsuit mania...dwestly

One of the major differences between the two legal systems is the rarity of the civil jury in Canada. So you don't get as many whacky verdicts.

In my province you need leave of the court to get one, and judges do not like juries.

I'm surprised the "skydiver had his neck broken by System Helmet that flipped open in flight" legend hasn't appeared here.

I've flown System 3 and System 5 helmets back with me from Germany, and my wife shipped us System 4s when she was there for business.

I've done it simply because I think they're cool and not because I'm necessarily convinced they're any better than any Made-in-Japan helmets. German safety standards are fine with me, as I consider any and all USA automotive anything simply third world.

BMW System 6 Helmets vs. "Brain Buckets"

It is utterly amazing that we can't get BMW System 6 helmets in the U.S., but I see Harley riders wearing these "brain bucket" helmets everyday.

Sorry, the picture didn't copy. Do a seach on the Internet for "brain bucket" and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:

Or more likely Schuberth's perception of US lawsuit mania is rampant. There are a lot of European and Asian helmet manufacturers who seem to make US sales work for them.

As noted above, System helmets have not been available in the US for many years. My Canadian dealer said that it was due to BMW's aversion to selling helmets in the much more litigious US market.

Canadian dealers are under instructions from BMW Canada to ensure that no System helmets are sold to US customers under threat of having the helmets embargoed here as well. It's a product they want to carry, so they take the threat seriously.

My local dealer has a sign up that the helmets are illegal to wear in the USA (as they are not DOT approved).

My local dealer has a sign up that the helmets are illegal to wear in the USA (as they are not DOT approved).

Well, now I'm not sure what to do. My wife and I think nothing of crossing the border and bombing down to Bellingham WA on a nice day to do the Chuckanut coastal drive to Burlington but I'm not prepared to lay out $800.00 for a non DOT helmet that some State Trooper takes exception with and writes me out a ticket.

I'm sure the helmet meets or exceeds the DOT standard but there's nothing worse than riding down the road and having to look over your shoulder for fear of getting pulled over. Mind you there's times when I need to do that as the speedometer creeps up into bad boy territory. (it's hard being good with 165 ponies between your knees)

So, I'm going to re-think the purchase and maybe look at Nolans or some of the Japanese flip ups. Anyone out there got any suggestions for a comparable lid?

Thanks
cbcK1200S - Colin
:whistle:dunno

I like the newer Schuberth flip up helmets because they are the only flip ups that are quite. The Nolans and Shoei's flip ups are ungodly noisy. Since I have had Schuberths in the past I know what size I wear. I simply went to a European motorcycle gear website and ordered one. I think I used FC Moto. 4 days later the helmet was at my door.

And I couldn't care less if it is DOT approved or not. If its passed the European standards thats good enough for me. Besides theres not to many DOT police jumping out of bushes on the side of the road to check peoples helmet for a DOT sticker.

Go to any biker apparel store and buy yourself a DOT sticker.

Odds of the police even looking twice at a full face helmet for a sticker is low, you would have to really have made him mad.

Rod

Has anyone's helmet ever been checked for the presence of a DOT sticker? I just can't imagine it happening unless there's some other bad behavior going on to provoke an LEO to stop you - and even then the likelihood of a DOT check seems miniscule.

Back