• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to GTL

wppatin

Kajun-Flyer
New to the K1600 forum but been a member for a while over on the RT board. I am convert to GTL after purchasing a 2014 RTW and being caught up in the stop ride directive from BMW. I was on several BMW's and RT's prior to stepping into the RTW in late February, great bike but the ergo's did not really fit me from the very start which was not a surprise but I was only able to mod the bike on a limited basis due to handle bar design, the sport oriented riding position and very few options available compared to the those available on the previous generation RT's.

After 5 weeks and 2 canceled trips into this Stop Ride Directive I finally just returned the bike, and with the dealer discounts and some BMW blood money and little bit from my fun fund I handed the keys to RTW over and in return was presented the keys to 2014 Graphite Grey GTL.

I had not been able to demo on so I was a little uncertain about what to expect ... WOW ... This is amazing bike, granted it carries addition weight but I actually find it easier to handle than my RTW. The engine is just amazing and will pull from any gear and speed with as little as 1500 rpm. The ride on the highway is smooth, stable with passing ability you must monitor or you will find yourself triple digits on the front side of your target vehicle.

Just 2 riding days so far but I am very pleased with my decision and looking forward to many enjoyable miles as the ergo's on the bike are just about perfect. I had the Illium engine bars and cruise pegs installed and with addition of a RDL seat and AeroFlow windscreen will be icing on the cake.

Welcome to the madness. May want to add the side wings and mini wings from Aeroflow as well. Clean up the cockpit wind nicely.

Welcome! Check you're tires and if they're metzlers Z-8's keep a real close eye on them when you get over 3k miles. Mine unexpectedly showed cords less than 50 miles after looking good. (Riding styles vary so you may get more or less but at 3874 mine were shot

C4Golf ... I like that handle ... Read in the forum someplace about contacting Pagie at AeroFlow, I had been waiting for them to complete their R&D on RTW. Will go with both sets of Winds Screens, out of curiosity what screen did you get.

dmftoy1 ... I have the Metz's will watch it close. So many differing results with brands is not making for a clear cut winner for the set of tires.

I'm just about done with my fourth set of Michelin PR3's. The first two were non-b spec and were pretty used up by 7k miles. The second two pairs have been b spec and at 7k miles looked to good for another 1-2k. Ymmv. :).

Today I'll probably be mounting up a set of pr4 gt's to finish off the riding season. I think the pr3's would get me up/back to the rally but I'd be kicking myself if they didn't and I had a new set on the wall. :).

On the windscreens I've done ztechnik vstream, cee bailey (26" tall wide) and have aero flow sitting in garage next to bike (GTL tall). So far cee bailey was best but impacted my mpg. Some folks whose opinions I respect (double my miles on their GTL) swear by it so I'm going to give it and the mini wings and aero wings a shot. (Noticed the 2014 R1200rt has something similar. . .so . . . :) )

Have a good one,
Dave

Back