• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Internal tire patch tolerance

glwestcott

OK, so I have two internal patches on my Metzler Roadtech rear tire. Like the tire handling, but not the tendency for picking up nails. How many internal patches will you tolerate before junking an otherwise perfectly good rear tire?

Tire Patches

I rode 1000 miles on a one patch. Still had only 5000 mi on the tire. I only rode 50 miles on a 3 holer. Tire had only 2500 mi on it.

I just get too nervous.

Dale

Internal patches, if applied correctly are as good as it gets. I don't think I have ever seen one fail car or bike.

But how many? Hard question to answer, I have not been that unlucky to get multiple punctures.

Unless you are totally out of tune with your bike, worrying about patches and plugs is a waste of gray matter.
IF you only patch or plug small punctures (the only appropriate use for a patch or plug) the worst that can happen should the patch come lose or the plug come out is a slow leak that matches the original puncture. You survived the first one with no great fuss, right?
You can expect the same result again in the unlikely event you have such a failure -though I also have never personally seen any patch or a well done string plug fail on any type of tire.

I suppose that if you can manage to ignore a leaker until virtually all the air is gone and are then prone to panic and doing something silly like jumping hard on the brakes you really ought to worry- but anyone who rides like that probably should just to sell the bike to be safe.

I ran with 5 string plugs for most of last year in a PR2. Over 5,000 miles on the first plug and a little over 2,000 on the fifth. Would I do it again? You bet. If it is a simple puncture in the tread. Would not trust a plug or patch on the sidewall.
Jeff

What the heck are you multiple puncture guys riding in/on?:stick Pressures checked regularly?
We go thru a lot of tires annually and may each have one flat ( I have now angered the flat demon) . Have installed an internal patch on tires with a lot of life in them. Have also left a plug in for the reamining life on an older tire. It just depends...but I have never had multiple punctures ( on road) on the same tire.
Now if you want to talk bicycle tubes and multiple patches:D

Slight thread detour -- what are you using for inside patches (brand/type)? I have a Metzler Z8 I'd like to experiement on with an inside patch, but haven't found a local source.

Thanks!

Slight thread detour -- what are you using for inside patches (brand/type)? I have a Metzler Z8 I'd like to experiement on with an inside patch, but haven't found a local source.

Thanks!

Camel brand - like these: http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/category/tires/repair-parts/camel-plug-n-patch-repair-kit

Available lots of places.

The plug/patch has all the advantages of an old fashioned tire "boot" inside the tire, and also seals the hole to prevent water and other crud entering into the tire cords between the plys.

Last edited:
Internal patches, if applied correctly are as good as it gets. I don't think I have ever seen one fail car or bike.

But how many? Hard question to answer, I have not been that unlucky to get multiple punctures.

I have never had a need for more than one in any given tire, but pondered the original question and believe I have deduced the practical limits.

1. When you have so many that the ability to balance the tire is impaired, that's too many.

2. When the punctures become so closely spaced that patches need to overlap, that's too many.

If either of these circumstances arise my suggestion would be to either buy better tires or to find better places to ride.

Now that's an answer I can relate to.

Haven't manage to hole any tubeless tire on my current RT but I've sure holed a heck of a lot of tubes on dirt bikes. When I was young and poor I just kept patching tubes until the tube was about rotted from age. Not sure how many I got at max but it was "more than a couple". Never caused me any problems.

I used to change my tires after a puncture just to be safe but on my new RT I got a nail in my rear tire literally coming home from my 600 mile checkup. I also got the tire pressure monitor on my new bike so I decided to patch tire and watch the pressure. In 3500 miles it hasn't changed at all.

Bill
2012 Rt, 09KLR

Back