• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MTF -SS1000- MOA Mile Contest

dave92029

Heidi Weldon and Dave Mishalof (the 2004 Women's and Men's division top finishers in the MOA Mileage Contest) rode the MTF Saddle Sore 1,000 ( Iron Butt Association - 1,000 miles + in less than 24 hours) together on June 11

We finished the 1,000 miles in 14 Hrs. 45 mins.

The start was at the Shell station in Temecula. there were several mandatory gas stops: Barstow; Flagstaff; Chandler, AZ and San Diego. The weather ranged from cold near Flagstaff to very hot (98) in the Phoenix area. There was light rain and very heavy fog just before Victorville.Stonge winds near Ocotillo, but generally we had good weather.

On I-40 west of Williams we rode thru a swarm of bees, very big bees! It feels like you are beeing hit by small stones except these stay on your windshield and cloths.

We stopped for breakfast at McD's in Needles and had dinner at the DQ in Yuma. We made good time without using our fuel cells, and just steady riding. It was a nice ride and I enjoyed Heidi's company.

The MTF (internet chat group) had rides starting in 25 different locations yesterday with approximately 500 participants total. There were approx. 25 participants in Temecula.

Obviously it's just me....but even so, I still "don't get it". :dunno

What's up with all the fuss and muss about riding 1000 miles in 24 hrs.....or less?

I've done it a couple of times in the past, both riding / driving.....out of necessity, not out of boredom.

And....they give certificates and/or patches for such a deed?

Oh well.....chances are, I'll never really understand it. :uhoh

Fuss about a SS1000

I agree.

The first time you or anyone does somtheing that extends their horizons of what you thought is possible, is alway described as special. The next time you do the same thing its is described as "been there, done that".

The reason I did this ride was because I wanted to support this MTF event. The Motorcycle Touring Forum is, in my opinion, a special internet riding forum. All brands of bike owners, and all styles (chopper, sport, touring, dirt,etc.) of riders are welcome. Not only is everyone welcome but supported and encouraged to do whatever it is that they want to do.

Within the MTF is a group of long distance riders that have organized several Iron Butt Association rides. The special part of their ride organization is that the MTF does not charge anything to participate, the MTF provides the routes, gas stops, witnesses at the start and finish and motel information. The participants generally get together for group pictures and dinner before or after the ride.

This supportive environment has encouraged many to attempt to take on riding challenges that they may not have done on their own. Yesterdays SS1000 had almost 500 participants in 25 different cities in Canada and the US

Personally I enjoy long distance touring and because of time constrants have found it necessary to ride long distances in short periods of time to get to or from some place I wanted to visit.

Participation in MTF events gives many the confidence to go places and do things that they may not have done before so I feel that participation in these events is positive.

I believe Heidi wants to show other women that they can also do these same motorcycle rides as the men. I feel that Heidi is a role model for many women.

Heidi, her husband Bob and I are friends and we felt that we shoould support this event in addition to enjoying riding together.

Not trying to make a fuss, just sharing what I did with my friends in the BMW community. :drink

http://www.mctourer.com/

Dave, from another puzzled onlooker, maybe you could answer my questions, regarding safety. If I figured things out correctly, you averaged almost 68 mph, including gas and food stops. That's one heck of an average. Where does safety fit into the equation? What speeds were you actually riding? What are the speed limits out your way? How about fatigue and safety-do you train for thiis kind of event? Were there any mishaps? Thanks.

Several years ago, in the middle of Winter, I drove over 1400 miles in 24 hrs. We just stopped for gas, restroom breaks and a quick bite to eat here and there.

And yes.....several times I became very tired and weary eyed. We had to make the trip and there wasn't time to book a flight. I did it successfully, but I wouldn't want to make a habit (or hobby) out of it. :brow

I know, that if I had to, I could ride 1000 miles on a bike, in less than 24 hrs., but....I'd have to have a damned good reason for it though...... :D

Safety

The speed limits in California and Az where we did most of our riding is 75 mph. we were riding between 75 -82, but generally staying at or below 80. 5-7 over the speed limit out west will get you passed a lot and we saw many other people pulled over by the police and Border Patrol.

Heidi, her husband Bob and I are entered in the 2005 Iron Butt, which starts in Denver on August 22 and last for 11 days. The Iron Butt is a savenger hunt for bonus locations that have different point values spread through out the US and Canada, so generally there is a lot of miles accumulated in picking up bonus points.

Heidi and I did this as a test to see how well we have setup our bikes and the equipment we have installed.

You make a very important point. Training for this kind of thing. About twenty years ago I ran/ walked the NYC Marathon. In order to run a 26 mile marathon you must build up to that distance by running ever increasing distances.

Loong distance riding, in my opinion is the same. You must train by doing ever increasing distances.

This was a training run for Heidi and me, and we were very fresh and relaxed at the finish.

dave - thanks for sharing. i'm looking forward to tracking your progress, and that of the other MOA forum members that are participating. you guys rock.

I think this endurance riding thing falls squarely in the

"If I have to explain you wouldn't understand"

I read someplace recently that the average motorcycle gets ridden about 3000 miles a year, for those folks I can see how putting a third of your annual mileage on in one day would seem like insanity.

Sometimes you just see a goal and want to conquer it. I've done a few 800+ miles days trying to get from one place to another, it's really just a matter of putting the time in. Most of these endurance runs are done on the slab where average speeds are fairly high and outside influences are relatively few. You would indeed be a bit crazy to think about attempting this on a road like CA Hwy1...you just can't maintain a high enough average speed.

I have yet to do an SS1000. One day I will, but as part of something else- on the way to a rally or something like that. The goal is appealing but not enough to justify the time on the slab in itself.

In the meantime, to my tank torchin' tire squaring brothers and sisters: Ride On!

Steve

my bike had a 12k service april 13. it currently has 17.5k on it. i had a 3k weekend in april, and the rest has been around texas. it's all been fun. compared to most of my other friends, i've been riding a lot. compared to endurance riders, i've barely left the driveway. so, depending on who is judging me, i'm either cool, crazy, lazy, badass, or a wuss rider.

you learn a little about your limits, which is good. you learn about the bike's ergos, which is good. you learn how long you really want to sit on a bike, and you learn what happens when you sit longer than you think you want to.

from what little i've seen of endurance riders (i've met only a couple in person) they really enjoy the entire process and vibe of being an endurance rider. part of it is the ride, but there is a whole unseen portion of it - the training, the bike mods and prep, the planning, and the sense of accomplishment. these people are happy doing it. i think a lot of us imagine *ourselves* doing it, and think, "why would i want to be miserable like that?" and then *project* that judgement onto others, and assume they are doing something that makes them unhappy. they arent - they like it, and that's a good thing.

this is a HUGE flaw in the human character by the way. people judge another person by their own preferences, instead of trying to accept another person for their (the other person's) preferences. when someone says, "i dont know why anyone would do that" what they are *really* saying is, "i dont want to do that." we all do this and should strive to catch ourselves and reduce it.

i know a few endurance runners - people who run 100km at a time. i have friends who have done 24 hour continuous mountain bike rides. i have fasted and denied myself sleep for extended periods just to see what my body and mind do. it's interesting. if you are someone who is not curious about your mind and body's limits, that's ok. but that is no reason to give someone else a hard time because they use their mind, body, and motorcycle in a way different than you.

we're all riders.

Back