• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

DIY vs Warranty

sickticket

Past Yamaha and Honda guy. Just ordered my first BMW - 2013 R1200RT. My butt is itching.
Anyway, I'm a machinest, CNC programer/setup/operator so I know my way around machines and tools. I've checked out this site for maintenance instructions and it all seems rather straight forward. I am concerned about maintaining the warranty and still do most of the work myself.
What do I need to do to prove all the scheduled work is done properly?
Thank you in advance.

I was just looking at the same bike and asked the service department manager the same thing thing. He said as long as you do it right there is no issue with warranty.

I can verify that from personal experience. I do all my own and have a couple times needed a warranty replacment (an fpc, for example). Never had a problem with it- even at dealers other my local one.

I use the factory service forms for all regular service that you can find on the web and make notes on them for anything done in between.
Remember you will need a GS-911 to reset the service indicators and check codes or will need to get a dealer to do that for you.

Also, FWIW, should you ever buy a used one there is no problem getting recall updates done at any dealer either. I recently added an 06 K-GT to the fleet and had the local dealer do the suspension link recall.

Like others have said as long as you can prove that you have maintained the bike and performed the required service items your okay. You will need to prove if asked that you have purchased lubricants that meet spec and of proper viscosities. They will also look for items such as filters, seals and anything else that would be needed for proper completion of the service.

Do keep in mind that if the dealer performs the service for you, you will have a better chance of getting good will warranty assistance on major components if the dealer has been involved all along. I've seen this to be true in motorcycle and car dealerships. The dealer is more likely to push the factory rep for assistance on your behalf if they have had an opportunity to see you after the initial sale.

Well, thanks for the responses. Having not dealt with BMW dealer for service, are the charges high for labor for valve clearance checks or other types of maintenance? Obviously the oil changes and minor stuff so easy to do I would be reluctant to ask for their help.
Besides oil changes and valve clearance checks, what other types of scheduled maintenance is required?

Thanks
Peter

Federal Law prevents dealers from denying warranty service regardless of where work was done. Lack of proof does not mean lack of warranty. A lot depends on whether or not the dealer is ethical.

what other types of scheduled maintenance is required?

Check valves, oil changes, sparkplug changes, air filter changes, alternator belt changes, check battery, brake pads and rotors, brake bleeds, cables, clutch fluid level (the level RISES as the clutch wears), center and side stand pivot lube, lights, tires, and engine start suppression.

The list will vary with specific bikes. I created a checklist for use on my bike (an '05 GS). http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/service.pdf I keep the checked off list in a binder along with receipts for parts. When I get a new bike I'll create a new checklist for it. Data for the checklist came mostly from the RepROM [repair DVD].

There is a DVD out for the hexhead GS, same engine,trans and final drive as RT
Google JVB productions he makes a great video explaining service on GS cycles, should work for your RT

Never once;

Been thru dozens beemers with nearly a million miles and never once have been asked to show papers of my self service past. I have done almost all of it and only seeing my dealers with waranty claims thru the years. I find my dealer exceptional however and they know me well. It may help to have a good relation with your guys, but never do I go in for service. BMW has always stood up for my waranty claims, no questions asked. Some have been severe claims like FDs and computers and cams, so some have cost BMW big. Randy

Ok, I have learned a lot. Thanks for the responses.

Final question (I think). Is there a list available that shows a schedule of recommended maintenance to keep my new bike in it's best possible mechanical shape?

I don't have one for any R1200, but just for the sake of example, I'll try to post some from earlier bikes. They're old copies, so they may not copy over clearly, but let's try this ...

Attachments

• R11RService1.jpg
    R11RService1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 296
  • R11RService2.jpg
    R11RService2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 295
  • Service Schedule Items R1100 1150.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 3
Final question (I think). Is there a list available that shows a schedule of recommended maintenance to keep my new bike in it's best possible mechanical shape?

The best idea would be to get the list from the service manager at the dealership where you bought/plan on having your warranty work done. That way there is no disagreement as to what should have been done. Several of those official looking online lists are completely missing some of the most critical known maintenance items (ie. early K bike final drive spline lube). If the guy that is making the decision on your warranty knows he is the guy that gave you the list of what to maintain, you should have no problem. If you get a list off the internet, they have room to say that it was the wrong or not current list.

:dance:dance:dance

Federal Law prevents dealers from denying warranty service regardless of where work was done. Lack of proof does not mean lack of warranty. A lot depends on whether or not the dealer is ethical.
What he said. I've had both a Kawasaki area rep and the Triumph USA rep try to intimidate me with that "void your warranty" business. It doesn't fly, BUT being on good relations with a good dealership sure helps grease the skids.

I'm a big proponent of DIY, IF you are capable and understand more than just which way to turn the wrench. But, I am also a proponent of having the dealer at least do the first service schedule. Think of it as insurance. If the dealer has record of at least the first service on the bike, and since if something is to go amiss it usually happens soone than later, then at least YOU and the dealer have a record to present to the factory should a "discussion" come up.

If you do everything on the bike from day one, with no dealer participation, then its your word as an untrained inexperienced (no matter what YOU say, that is how the manufacturer sees it) home wrench against the wealth of knowledge of BMW. If anything doesn't fit right, work right, is mishandled, then the factory will have the attitude to wash its hands of the bike. Right or wrong, its all to you then to prove the issue on the bike.

I'm a big proponent of DIY, IF you are capable and understand more than just which way to turn the wrench. But, I am also a proponent of having the dealer at least do the first service schedule. Think of it as insurance. If the dealer has record of at least the first service on the bike, and since if something is to go amiss it usually happens soone than later, then at least YOU and the dealer have a record to present to the factory should a "discussion" come up.

If you do everything on the bike from day one, with no dealer participation, then its your word as an untrained inexperienced (no matter what YOU say, that is how the manufacturer sees it) home wrench against the wealth of knowledge of BMW. If anything doesn't fit right, work right, is mishandled, then the factory will have the attitude to wash its hands of the bike. Right or wrong, its all to you then to prove the issue on the bike.

I can understand your reasoning ... but I wonder if that really happens?

Maybe someone on this forum could speak up and confirm that they have gone through just what you've described ... anyone?

BTW, my Ural has by far the best factory warranty support ... Ural owners speak glowingly of the factory warranties, as Ural not only quickly meets expectations but often exceeds their obligations.

Last edited:
I'm just saying it could. I work part time at a BMW dealer and I have seen a lot of the botched DIY work of unknowing owners. If your bike has NO dealer maintenance record, and it develops a problem related to a warranty issue, BMW is still held to their side of the issue for the warranty, but I am sure a dealer will argue more in your favor if he knows something of the bike, because the dealer also represents the company and may take some of the cost hit.

Back