• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New York Finger Lakes recommendations?

R

ronshult

Greetings:

After the rally in Bloomsburg I was thinking about heading up into the Finger Lakes. I am sure someone is familiar and may offer some recommendations for places to visit. Appreciate any help...thx

Watkins Glen, take the hike up the Glen.

Hundreds of Wineries

Curtis Museum in Hammondsport

The Finger Lakes Region . . . .

As a former resident I would recommend the riding along all of the lakes. There are over 100 vineyards and there are good restaurants. One in particular is Rosalee's Cucina at the top of the hill (west) of Skaneateles. It is not cheap but the food and wine are the best. Go very hungry. It is a must go to when I return there to visit. In fact, I am going there after the rally and I will have dinner with friends there.
Safe travels . . .
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Last edited:
As mentioned, the Curtiss Museum is worth a visit. It's on SR 54 just south of Hammondsport. You can't miss it, there's a big airplane parked in front. From there, a leisurely ride up SR 54A on the west side of Keuka Lake is nice and there are lots of wineries, some on the hill west of the lake. Keuka is one of the prettiest of the Finger Lakes.

There are wineries all along Seneca Lake as well.

On the way to the Finger Lakes, you might want to stop in Corning for the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rockwell Museum, which has Western art. If you are into gliders, there is Harris Hill just west of Elmira on the hill above the Corning Elmira airport.

Ride safe and watch for deer; they are abundant in the Finger Lakes area.

Harry

Finger Lakes

I agree with all the posts. We have explored much of that area and we truly love it. Hammondsport and the museum is worth the stop, as is Bully Hill Vineyards, weird but cool. The ride around Skaneateles Lake is nice as is staying at the Sherwood Inn. I am leaving Michigan a few days early before Bloomsburg and taking the long way though the lakes for a few days. Staying at the Birds Nest Motel just outside Skaneateles one night. Old School, clean, with a pool out front that is so nice to fall into after a days ride.

If you are looking for a hotel the
Seneca Lodge Walnut Road, Watkins Glen, NY 14891
is rumored to be good.
The quitest and nicest camping in the area is Blueberry Patch Campground $10 (42.484405,-76.798886) in the Finger Lakes National Forest http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/greenmountain/htm/fingerlakes/links/recreation/camping.htm You can camp any where on the nation forest land for solitude but Backbone Horse Camp (we were fined). Be sure to follow the Gerenal forest Camping information.
The most fun winery we found is the Rasta Ranch Vineyards which is right up the road. Purple Haze: Semi-dry & fruity. An excellent alternative to heavy red to accompany lighter summertime fare. by the gallon.
Take 79 over to Ithaca for lunch downtown motorcycle parking (42.438364,-76.499063). The common area is very nice and busy with a lot of good food and brews.
If you make it on a Saturday or Sunday head for the Farmer Market you can get fine local produce and goods. On you way around Cayuga Lake up 13 there are small town museums along the way and a lake side lunch is an easy find.
The Finger Lakes are great. Try to make it to the Finger Lake Rally on Labor Day and :dance
Enjoy

Back