• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hearing aids / Helmets & RT's

pipestone

'Forgiven'
Hello everyone -

I'm new here to the forum..love the site, and ride the RT. Thought I would post here with my question even though it does pertain to gear..but with the characteristics of the RT in mind.

I use hearing amplifier in both ears and am wanting to upgrade my old helmet which is open face to one of the newer o.f. and wanting to use head sets. I was at the dealership today and tried a full face on for what I already knew... claustrophobia.. it ripped and tore at my hearing aids as I dawned.

Is there anyone else that fits my description...and what are you wearing that you can dawn and hear music comfortably with.. due to the road noise nature of this style helmet.

Thanks -

God Bless America,
pipestone

Good thing I can read cause I can't hear ya. LOL!

I to wear hearing aids. I carry my case in my pocket where I put them before I put my helmet on. I do have a full face helmet that the whole front comes up and can get it over my hearing aids but at $5000 a piece I don't want to lose them on the road. My advice is to take them out and turn it up. My wife complains when I have my IPOD on that she can hear the music at the other end of the house, yes I am that deaf. Good luck!
STeve

Wind Noise

I also wear hearing aides. In an attempt to save what hearing I have left, and due to wind noise, I wear ear plugs while riding. Sounds contradictory, but I hear some frequencies more than others. Wind and road noise comes through loud and clear, and unfortunately I believe that not having worn ear plugs for much of my riding career has contributed to hearing loss.

But as music sooths my savage beast, I also enjoy listening to music as I ride. So I am wearing ear plugs with internal speakers. A good ear plug fit allows one comfortable volume setting at motorcycle engine idle, enabling the music to be heard at highway speeds. When the pair I am currently wearing gives out, I will check out the good reports I have heard about Arizona Al's ear plug speakers. The pair that are currently unsatisfactory are Big Ears (they catch lots of ear wax, requiring a cleaning at an average interval of 1.4 years, at $80 per cleaning).

So to finish up this long story, I remove my hearing aides while riding, wear ear plugs to protect remaining hearing ability, and to reduce wind noise. Hope this helps your situation. Not sure the style of helmet would make much difference in this case, but if it matters to you, I wear a full face helmet.

I too wear hearing aids and remove them when riding. Earplugs will help preserve the hearing you still have and in ear speakers will allow you to hear music at a low, safe, comfortable level.

Note that I have a biased opinion re: 'in ear speakers' as I sell some.
The advice re: 'wearing plugs to protect your remaining hearing' is not biased, and if you choose to use in helmet speakers you can still hear music through them, though you will have to use a higher volume on you device.

Tip: using a helmet liner will help keep your hearing aids or earplugs from being moved when putting on or taking off your helmet.

Last edited:
Hello everyone -

I'm new here to the forum..love the site, and ride the RT. Thought I would post here with my question even though it does pertain to gear..but with the characteristics of the RT in mind.

I use hearing amplifier in both ears and am wanting to upgrade my old helmet which is open face to one of the newer o.f. and wanting to use head sets. I was at the dealership today and tried a full face on for what I already knew... claustrophobia.. it ripped and tore at my hearing aids as I dawned.

Is there anyone else that fits my description...and what are you wearing that you can dawn and hear music comfortably with.. due to the road noise nature of this style helmet.

Thanks -

God Bless America,
pipestone

Hi pipestone, Welcome to the forum. As this is developing into more of a Gear part of the forum discussion, I'm going to move it over there. It looks like a lot of the members are having the same experience as you. Have fun, Gary

Hearing

I also wear hearing aids but not on the bike. I wear an Arai full face helmet, ear plugs, an have autocom helmet speakers and amp hooked to my Zumo and Radar detector. I use the autocom to up the volume so I can clearly hear both devices up to 80 plus mph. I don't listen to music.

I am another hearing aid wearer. I remove my in-ear hearing aids to ride and store them in the case they came in. In their place I wear custom molded ear plugs. I used this set up with an autocom and the helmet speakers for a while but found I could not hear the speakers well. So I went back and bought a second set of custom ear plugs by DB Blocker which plug into the autocomm. They are plenty loud enough to hear the intercom, and yet still provide hearing protection. For me this is the setup that works. It is a bit fiddly to remove hearing aid, insert ear plugs and then put on my helmet, but for me it is worth it to perserve my remaining hearing and to enjoy my intercom.

The RT that I have has the blue tooth capability..just wondering if the technology is out there for ear bubs of sorts with no wiring. I use to wear the ear buds on my Glh Gold wing, but there was audio output..the new RT has only two audio inputs..usb + pin/socket that fits in the glove box on a combination cord. There is no audio out for hard wire to helmet.

...so then am I limited with only blue tooth whether head sets, or if the technology is there the buds?

As posters have mentioned with the headsets, some can hear with head sets and some can not..are there higher amplified headsets out there with more volume range? The buds can still produce quality sound with much less volume range.

..just trying to discover what option I have and what other hearing impaired riders are having success with when listening to their tunes.

Taking my hearing amplifiers out and putting them in a safe place will be a must...my ears still hurt from yesterdays experience.

Thanks Folks -

God Bless America,
pipestone

The RT that I have has the blue tooth capability..just wondering if the technology is out there for ear bubs of sorts with no wiring. I use to wear the ear buds on my Glh Gold wing, but there was audio output..the new RT has only two audio inputs..usb + pin/socket that fits in the glove box on a combination cord. There is no audio out for hard wire to helmet.

...so then am I limited with only blue tooth whether head sets, or if the technology is there the buds?

As posters have mentioned with the headsets, some can hear with head sets and some can not..are there higher amplified headsets out there with more volume range? The buds can still produce quality sound with much less volume range.

..just trying to discover what option I have and what other hearing impaired riders are having success with when listening to their tunes.

Taking my hearing amplifiers out and putting them in a safe place will be a must...my ears still hurt from yesterdays experience.

Thanks Folks -

God Bless America,
pipestone

Do the blue tooth receivers that mount to the helmet have pin jacks that will receive either headset or ear buds?

Thanks -
pipestone

Pipestone, on my Autocomm the on lead from the bike to helmet there is also a 3.5mm plug for earbud speakers. That way I have both the in ear and helmet speakers, although the in ear speakers are what I hear.

Back