• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

3m Foam Tape Specification?

exgman

I bought a Wunderlich Oil Cooler shield for my R1200RT from another MOA member. The shield fits perfectly onto the location as intended, but requires some double-sided foam tape to mount it semi-permanently. I got the only double-sided foam tape available from a local auto parts store and attempted the mounting after cleaning up all the parts with alcohol.

Once mounted, it was clearly not adhering very well, and even after a few hours in the sun, it was not secure.

I see that 3m has a bunch of different tapes for this kind of application. Does any member have experience with any similar mounting situation, and can advise the best tape to use? I have written to Wunderlich, but have not heard back from those folks.

Thanks - JG

Hi John. I'm a fan of 3M products as I've never had a bad one. I have had good luck with the double sided foam tape. The surfaces should be as clean and smooth as possible and as good as this stuff is, it won't work miracles. I am not familiar with the cooler or the shield but the "easy mounting" claims are sometimes part of marketing. If it says to drill a few holes it sometimes turns people away from the task/product. I also like wire-ties. Gary

Go to a REAL auto parts store, not a chain. One that mixes and sells paints to body shops, or stop at a body shop, they will tell you what you need. If it is a small amount, they might even toss you enough for nothing.

Wunderlich Tech Support Answer - Silicone Adhesive

Thanks OmegaMan and pffog. I was getting ready to stop by an auto body shop nearby, when I received an answer to my inquiry from Wunderlich America Tech Support. William Pham advised me:

"Hello and thank you very much for your inquiry.

Instead of using tape, I have found that clear silicone adhesive works very well, in fact better. Make sure that you are using silicone adhesive and not sealant. Clean the part thoroughly and also the bike with something that leaves no residue such as rubbing alcohol. Place a generous bead on the contact areas and press the cooler guard into place. Then use some making tape and / or clamps to tightly hold the guard in place for at least 24 hours to let the silicone cure. Once that is done and you remove the tape, you can peel off any excess silicone and you will find that the part fits tighter and looks better than if you had used tape.

If you ever need to remove the part for any reason, you will be able to and the silicone can be peeled or scraped off without too much effort."

Sounds pretty good to me. I'll give that a try and see how it works. I'll show you the results on Sunday at the YB meeting OmegaMan.

Back