• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New "returning" Member

sddinnh

Well Guys

You asked for an intro, so here goes. First of all, as the title indicates, I am a "returning" member. After a sucession of Hondas thru the 70's, I originally joined the MOA in 1980 when I bought my first BMW, a new R100T. But, after that bike went in 1991 (with close to 100,000 miles on it), I had a riding "layoff" due to some injurys in the Persian Guld War.

When I returned to riding, there was a couple of Honda touring bikes that I just wasn't quite happy with, including an ST1300 and a Gold Wing. Both were good bikes, but not "just right", if you know what I mean. The ST 1300 was just too "tall" for me and the Gold Wing just too heavy and didn't handle those "back roads" as well as I would have liked.

So this year, I finially came back to a 2009 BMW R1200RT with lowered suspension and a lowered seat and it feels like I'm back home. In two weeks, I've put almost 2000 miles on it and I'm looking forward to a long and happy relationship with it.

Steve

Hi Steve, welcome back.

I also tried a stint on an ST1300. It was a good bike and I put about 10,000 miles on it in a year but it was a little too vanilla and the heat bothered me.

This year I am on an airhead but am looking towards a R1200RT hopefully next year.

Just something for me about the BMW's. the more you ride 'em, the more you want to ride.

Hi Steve, welcome back :wave

I have a friend with an ST. I enjoy borrowing it but find myself happy to be back on my Roadster at the end of the day.

Welcome Back!

Thanks for your service.

We are glad to see that you have found a bike that is comfortable for you to ride and it is a BMW to boot.

Looking forward to reading some ride reports with pics of the new bike and places you have been.

Glad to have you here.

ALRIGHT Steve!

Hey Steve,

Like the others have said "Welcome Back!" You may already know (have done this), but, you can request your former BMWMOA member number.
Enjoy your RT and keep turning those miles. We turned 121K on our '02 K12RS this past weekend during the Great River Road Rally (missed you SIBUD) and still get a big grin everytime another 1000 miles turns on the odometer.

Hope to see you down the road.

Riding Like the Wind (on the way to Hiawatha Rally)...

CHASMAN

Welcome Aboard Sddinnh, :wave

Just about everything you want to know about BMW Motorcycles can be found on the forum. When you are looking for a topic or need a question answered the site's search engine is invaluable. There are two search buttons on the Forum. I have the best luck with the one located between New Posts and Quick Links.

I am the Owners News editor of Touring Tips and am always looking for a Touring Tip. If you are an experienced and saddle sore veteran or touring please send me a tip. If you are new to Touring many of the archive articles are here.

and a Golden Oldie is added almost daily. Click here.

Steve,
We have a couple things in common. I too joined BMWMOA long ago, in 1983 when i bought my first BMW (K100RT), and currently ride an 09 R1200RT (love it)!
(Re)Joined BMWMOA just recently and looking forward to meeting other enthusiasts at Rallys.

Bill

Back