• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 r1200gs stumbles and surges

oldjoebmwrider

I have a 2009 R1200gs with 45000 miles, just lately it has begun to surge and stumble after I fill it with fuel. It isn't just one brand, Chevron, Texaco, Murphy and Shell so far. After I fill up and get on down the road a piece it starts this stumbling and surgeing. So far it doesn't last very long and then all appears to be well again until the next fill up. Any ideas ?

Joe

Tank been off?

Using fuel creates a vacuum. There must be a way to let air into the tank. If this is partially plugged...

I had an anti-tip valve and hose on the tank on my Triumph. If the tank was off and the hose not vertical, this same behavior happened. Opening the gas cap would fix it temporarily, until I had a chance to reroute the hose.

Are you filling above the filler neck? Excess fuel can run into the evap canister and make it so wet, the tank cannot breath.

Just a thought.

Well, I think attack the simple guess first. I think water in the bottom of your fuel tank. Filling the tank stirs up the water/crud lying at the bottom of the tank. Some gets sucked into the fuel pump and in the injectors. Things get bad until the stirred crud again settles to the bottom of the tank.

So, step one is to use a good fuel dryer - IsoHeet in the red bottle is my favorite. Regular Heet in the yellow bottle or some other brand might well work too.

Step two - if step one fails to solve the problem - is to remove and thoroughly empty the fuel tank before refilling it with known good fuel.

Problem may be solved ! Finally noticed a vacuum at the fuel cap, when you're dumb you're dumb :banghead, checked hose lines going to and from charcoal filter and fuel tank breather valve and found one stopped up, cleared it and all appears to be well. Thanks guys for the input, helped tremendously.

Joe :wave

Good news, Joe, and I'll file the info away for future reference.

And by the way, gasoline with ethanol has its own built-in "fuel dryer": the ethanol, which is the main ingredient in "gas line antifreeze". That's about the only good think to be said for ethanol.

pete

Back