• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tankbags?

I think the Big Mak is the best thing out there. But the Eclipse Standard (lasts forever!) and Wolfman are very nice, too.

MarkF

KBasa,
Yes, for my /7.
Bradford Benn,
Can you please post some side views of the Big Mak? Thank you in advance.
I just had my tank painted. So a tankbag that is not harmful to the paint is really important. It is to my understanding that the magnetic ones may harm paint. Please correct me if I am wrong. Do they make any waterproof or resistant already w/out the rain jacket?
Thanks,
Michael

Mr. Benn,
It looks like the Big Mak underframe- thing is mounted to the gas cap somehow. Will this work on my R75/7?
Thanks,
Michael

Michael-

I am not familiar enough with the full line of BMW to know. The way mine works is that there are four machine screws with washers that are used in place of four of the screws holding the gas tank assembly in.

-=Brad

That kinda sux. I really liked the way the Big Mak looked and it got the best reviews, so far. What's the next best thing, that will work for me old /7?
I guess it just gives one more reason to get an oilhead too.
Thanks,
Michael
P.S. Brad, Thanks for all your help. I followed your website to Big Mak's site and they do not offer anything for my /7.

R75/7 said:
P.S. Brad, Thanks for all your help. I followed your website to Big Mak's site and they do not offer anything for my /7.

Sorry about that. I have heard lots of good things about Eclipse bags, but am not real familiar with them or the /7.

I looked at the RKA site and the tankbags loo great and the dscription leads me to believe that there is a lot of care and detail that goes into their stuff. They seem to have a lot of preventative measures so as not to screw up the paint. The only problem is that I haven't heard any word of mouth praise. Has anyone had any realtime with any of their tankbags? And how to they treat the paint?
Thanks,
Michael

I just puchased a Tourmaster lastnight. Has anybody ever had one and what do they think? Thanks for all your help.

Tankbag

For what's it's worth I have used a MARSEE expandable magnetic bag for the last five years or so. First on my /7 for four years and then for one year so far on my 1150R.

Love it...expandable...no rainfly but waterproofed it with sprays etc. and no problems leaking. No paint damage 'tall....but I'm VERY careful to check the underside magnetic pads for any "contamination" before each use.

/7-Take a look at the Wolfman site. I've used a Mag Bag for years on my R60/5 and now that I've got a R75/5 just about on the road, I'm going to get the XLMag for it.
I LOVE the simplicity of the magnets. No muss, no fuss, just pick the bag up and go. And the magnets hold it to the tank just fine, even fully loaded at top speed.
Nice to have a METAL bike again!

I really cannot offer comparison info. I have had a RKA for my 96 R1100R for 7 years. I use it most of the time, so I guess it has about 50K of use. It doesn't slip around, hasn't damaged the tank, and is still in good shape. Thus, I would recommend it.

tankbags

hi all,

i am using the BMW tankbag made for the old K bikes - it clips on and off easily and since it's tailored to fit the K tank, fuel-ups are no hassle whatsoever...you zip back the two zippers that hold the bag to the base, and there's a hole on the base that lines right up with the tank lid...if anybody has a pre-mid-nineties Kbike, i highly recommend it if you can find one...

I also want to give a shout out to Marsee - I have had one of their expandables (clip-on) since I started riding, capacity is great and it's very tough - but it's no match for the BMW bag for convenience...

I've never used a magnetic tankbag - always seemed like too much extra weight....

Tank bag

I just bought a HELD tankbag from Newenough.com for the paltry sum of $39. It uses a velcro and strap mounting system that might sound iffy, but it holds everything in place just fine. I've put a few hundred miles on it and the bag stays put. When you take the bag off the bike, it turns into a backpack. The contour of the bag is a perfect match to my R65's gas tank. I'm sure a Marsee or RKA tankbag would rock, but they can cost well over a hundred bucks. This is a great bag design at a fantastic price. I'm pretty sure there are still some available. I can send you a photo of my bike with the bag on it if you wish.
Best wishes.
David

Back