• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT Headlight Bucket

jeffd

I found out today that one of the mounting ears was broken off of my headlight bucket. Someone had tried to repair it with some type of epoxy. I have had the bike for over a year and a half and it just let go today. Has anyone had any luck repairing something like this? Can I expect something like JB Weld to hold up? Any other ideas?

Beemer Boneyard is out of stock for a used one. I have emailed re-psycle to see if they have a used one. Any other places to look?
Thanks,
Jeff

B0004180.png

If you're talking about part # 11, it's less than $19 from BMW.

If you're talking abut # 1, lets hope you find a used one.

I wish it was #11. Could probably come up with a functional repair for it.

If I fail to find a used one I plan on forming a bracket out of aluminum. It will give a larger surface to glue to. Still not sure how well it will hold.
Jeff

Well, I went ahead and cobbled up a repair. Most of the old epoxy just scraped off with a fingernail. I used a razor knife and a pick to get all of the old stuff out of the nooks and crannies. After cleanup, the broken tab nested in nicely. I used Permatex brand plastic weld for the repair. A real thin layer was applied to the broken edges and then I held the tab in place until it setup enough to stay.

Next I fashioned a piece of light weight non-ferrous gray stuff into a wrap around support. After scuffing everything with 36 grip emery, the aluminum was glued into place with the same plastic weld. The container said I could use it on the aluminum. It's not real pretty but I think it will hold up better than the last repair.

Still have to do some cleanup and drill the hole through the aluminum. Figured I should wait until it is fully cured to do those tasks.
Jeff

dumping ground 017.jpg

Back