• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

summer helmet

Does anyone make a full coverage helmet that does NOT leave one's hair soaked with sweat in the summer heat?

I currently have an old Buell that I wouldn't mind replacing. I drove about 10 miles with temperatures in, I guess, the low 80's and when I take it off, my hair is soaking wet and I was just in a T-shirt. I had the shield up also since I had a windshield and glasses on.

I'm about ready to get half helmet.

Thank in advance.

Chuck

I wear a silk cap under my helmet and it is cool and dry in the summer. Can not seem to find the web site that I bought it from but I paid something like $10 and free shipping. It is not the one that fits tight but fits loose and light. Will up date with the web site later.

My new Arai Profile vents like crazy over the top of my head. I'm going to try a LD Comfort head sock soaked in water this summer to see how it works.

I went from a modular helmet to a Shoei X-11, full face helmet. I wear a schumpa helmet liner and have for years. I swear that the full face helmet has much more ventilation than the modular helmet. I believe that wearing a helmet liner is a key. The combination between a good ventilated helmet with a liner is the key to comfortable. Keep the hot air off my face. My food for thought... :eat:drink

I recently picked up a new Scorpion Exo 900 convertable helmet. So far I am real pleased. It is well ventilated and has a liner that makes space for airflow. I am in Hotlanta and have done some 90 degr. + rides. This brain bucket is probably the coolest I have owned.

My white Arai Profile full-face works well in the heat.

So does my much cheaper HJC full-face in white.

White helmets are safer, and white does reflect sunlight better, so they probably run cooler.

Harry

Bell Star

I have a Bell Star and this helmet flows ALOT of Air! It's pretty loud so I would suggest ear plugs.

Shoei X-11, period. This is the best helmet I've ever tried. Prior to this helmet becoming discontinued for the X-12, it was the benchmark for ventilation without being overly noisy. It's even been stated that the X-11 is still a much better helmet than the new X-12. My father uses a new Shoei RF-1100 which also is a great venting helmet.

I know they're expensive in de US, but I have a Schuberth S1Pro, which is quite good in the heat. Normally you have a liner that covers the entire interior of the helmet. Not in the S1Pro. The top half of the helmet only has 3 'lanes' of liner. So it has a good fit on your head, and allows for good ventilation:
kragen_t_07.jpg

The 'lanes' of liner are removable (velcro) for easy cleaning.

And I also wear a CoolMax liner.

Shoei X-11, period. This is the best helmet I've ever tried. Prior to this helmet becoming discontinued for the X-12, it was the benchmark for ventilation without being overly noisy. It's even been stated that the X-11 is still a much better helmet than the new X-12. My father uses a new Shoei RF-1100 which also is a great venting helmet.

+1 Nothing vents as well as an X-11!

Back