• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

boots

M

mikel

Any suggestions on a good pair of riding boots?? I ride everyday--regardless of the weather, so I need something warm and waterproof. There are so many out there, it would be nice to get some actual advice. I ride a R1200CL. Thanks!!!

Welcome to the Board!
I like my Oxtar boots as they have a Gore-tex liner in them.
You can also get the BMW boots but it depends on how much you want to spend. Some BMW dealers sell Oxtar boots too. :D
Good luck !

rider1150RT said:
Welcome to the Board!
I like my Oxtar boots as they have a Gore-tex liner in them.
You can also get the BMW boots but it depends on how much you want to spend. Some BMW dealers sell Oxtar boots too. :D
Good luck !

I'd vote for the Oxtars. You can find them for under $200. Though, I haven't used them, some friends have and are Very pleased.

I've got the BMW gortex boots. They've worked well, but I'll be getting something cheaper this time around.

I have a pair of Gaerne boots that I bought off of ebay about 4 years ago. They are just your standard leather boots, but they have been absolutely waterproof since I got them. I haven't ever seen a pair for sale in the U.S. , but when I went to Europe a few summers ago, I saw Gaerne stuff everywhere.

i wear sidi. warm enough for Cali. weather and definitely waterproof. they're comfy but not sure if they'll suit your needs.

Love my Oxtars. Bought them in Charleston at the rally this year for under $200. Sometimes I'll keep them on after my commute to work and just wear them all day.

I always liked the looks of the Belstaff boot in pictures, but I don't know anyone who wears them.

C

Oxstars = Intersport, right? Isn't that the old Hein Gericke? I have a pair of Gericke boots that I bought 5 years & 50,000 miles ago that I still love, only paid $125 for them and they are just now starting to weep a little after long rides in heavy downpours, I would keep them forever if the soles weren't starting to get thin.

Mikel, I don't know what you're riding in now, but if it's a pair of workboots or other non-motorcycle boots you won't believe the difference when you switch, it is totally worth it. You can get a basic (but still waterproof) pair for way under $150, or pay more for hi-tech-ier insulation and armor.

Miserable feet = miserable rider. Happy feet = happy rider:)

I have been very happy with the Oxtar. They are very similar to the BMW but less costly. I ride evryday as well and have held up well in just over a year of riding. The few time I have ridden in the rain since purchasing them, my feet have stayed dry.

Several ideas

I have an "old" pair of "Roadmaster" boots I bought, before Corbin bought the previous mfr out. I believe it is the same boot; truly an indestructable (sp?) boot for street touring. It would not be the correct boot to GS'ing with thru South America, nor extended wet weather touring........but it "walks" well once you get to destination/rally, etc....WITHOUT the 2" heel of some, er, "engineer" type boots!

They are fairly expensive now, since they have been Corbinized, but they are VERY comfortable, tall if you like ( I do), and have rear/side brass zipper entry. Check out the Corbin site (?).

For daily commuting to work, and summer (10 mos/yr) riding I wear Sidi "Land" boots. They are NOT marketed as motorcycle boots, even though it's the same boot company that makes all the go-fast boots. The 'Land" boots are good looking hiking boots, about 6" high, with lace-lugs up top. Great dual purpose boot where looks might be a problem commuting, or for casual riding, with shorts and HEAVY chaps on!!!

Comments welcome.......................Shepster

You might take a look at
* BMW Contour Boots *

Bill Stermer reviewed them quite favorably in the October '03 issue of Rider magazine.
Rider Magazine

I've come to trust Rider over the years. For a publication that's not married to any one OEM, they pretty consistently give high marks to our BMW productions. I guess that's part of why I ride one myself.

After several years wearing Diadora bicycle shoes and being impressed with their fit and durability, I bought a pair of their motorcycle boots to try. I have worn them in a couple heavy rains, with no leaking. I have also worn them in temps so far this year of 27 degrees for my short 20 minute commute to work, and they have kept me warm for that ride. I find them very comfortable, and I imagine that as long as I keep putting shoe polish, (the real kiwi wax) on them they will remain waterproof as my old alpinestars did for years. You can find them for under 130.00 at your dealer, or even less online I suppose.

I wear a Danner Gore Tex boot. Outstanding in almost constant use for 3 seasons. I had them resoled this past summer and the are as good as the day I bought them.
No leaks...ever....:bliss

I think Cabelas used to carry them but I'd imagine any good outfitter type store can get them in

Booties

Picked up some Pre Xport waterproof boots at my local dealership last year. Wear em every day to and from work. Never a leak and we have been in some pretty heavy Michigan rains - once for over an hour in a good hard rain. They keep my feeties warm on the frosty mornings, too.
Noticed some separation at the toe from the sole, but I can probably goop it up. Wear and tear otherwise is very acceptable. Paid 100 bucks.

I have the Combat Tourers from Aerostitch made by Sidi. Very comfortable boot right from the start, and when treated as recommended, for all practical purposes waterproof. Don't ride everyday, but 10K this year so far, and the boots aren't really broken in yet. About $250 if I remember correctly, but think they are well worth it.

The booties

I personally like the Daytona Gortex. Easy to walk in, adjustable calves, (important if you work out or are shaped differently than an average bear)

They zip up with two zippers.

I use Sidi Street boots. I've had them about three months and through several rain storms...last Sunday drove 436 miles mostly in drizzle and rain and my feet stayed dry. Cost approx. $200.00:brow

I bought a pair of Joe Rocket waterproof boots at BMW in Daytona at the spring rally ~ dear God did it rain, anyway they work very well and are comfy enough to walk around in.

I've been wearing Cruiserworks =http://www.cruiserworks.com/ boots for weveral yatrs now. They fit well, are comfortable for riding and walking, are waterproof and offer pretty good protection. The boots come in several sytyles and some of them are avaliable in narrow widths. :)

My favorite riding boots were a pair of Justin "motorcyle" boots. They were very comfortable but, were not waterproof and didn't provide much protection other than the leather they were made of. I wish Justin would make a "real " motorycyle boot.

Back