• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Parking

MCMXCIVRS

More toys than space
I've been working most of the year on an addition onto my garage and a makeover of the rest of it. Just got the bike parking space all done up. I seperated the bike space from what will be my woodwrking are with a partition wall and then spruced up the spot to make it worthy of the marque.

Hope the logo police don't come and confiscate my new floor. Its RaceDeck tiles in a familiar looking patern. :thumb

IMGP0756-2.jpg

My wife hasn't ridden her Bonneville since getting the F800ST five years ago, so I made an elevated platform for it to reside on until she decides what she wants to do with it. At least its not taking up floor space now.

IMGP0758-2.jpg

Her F800ST on the parking dolly tucked in under the Triumph. The reason the platfrom is not to the other wall is to make a space for my Kendon stand up lift to live when not in use.

IMGP0759-2.jpg

My K1200GT is next.

IMGP0760-2.jpg

And finally, my F800GS.

IMGP0761-2.jpg

Very cool. I have to make sure my sweetie does not see your pics (unless you want to come out to Vegas and do my garage.) We have a 3 car garage and she can't understand why I need two bays of it for 3 motorcycles and a golf cart!

Very nice :thumb

Sometime could you roll out the dolly with the bike on it and get a picture from the left side?

So, how do you get the bikes on and off the shelf?
Since you said bikes, I'm guessing you're talking to me???

We have an addition on the back of our two car garage.
When we looked at this house and saw the space on the back of the garage, we knew it was meant for us :)
I need Ed to come down and work on our walls and floor.:)

P1000491_Large_.JPG

P1000488_Large_.JPG

P1000489_Large_.JPG

IMG_0080.jpg

Officially Jealous

Nice job Ed. My wife even approves! BTW she was eyeing up that Bonneville that you aren't using...:stick

Nice job Ed. My wife even approves! BTW she was eyeing up that Bonneville that you aren't using...:stick

Heck I was eying the Bonneville.

Not many earthquakes in Iowa and Calgary.... Scare me to death putting it up there....
Shoot, I can't even lift the 1100rt from a spill, lol.

Two questions;

1) What brand of parking dolly is that?

2) Is the outside edge of the shelf solely supported by the one diagonal brace and the corner wall at the garage door? What size of wall studs are you bolting in to? I'm not critiquing, I'm considering possibilities to free-up space in my garage/woodshop

BTW - My compliments on a nice job.

Nice job !!...

I have a question, what is that insulation material on the garage door? Is it one sheet, or sheets butted together? Looks very nice & efficient !

Ron

The parking dolly was one that I got at Princess Auto (Canada's equivilant to Harbour Freight) a few years ago, haven't seen them again since. It wasn't terribly expensive, around $100 if I recall correctly. It works quite well allowing us to get the bike tucked in the space much easier than trying to manhandle it in. The ST is the low suspension version with no center stand, so the typical Park-n-move type dollys wouldn't work.

Here is a picture of it from their site archives.
8180648.jpg

The shelf is lag screwed into the 2x6 studs as is the brace. The base framework is 2x4s with a 3/4" plywood top and vinyl tiles. There is a 2x6 doubled onto the base frame overlapping the plywood and tile to cover the edges. Its all put together with construction screws and is quite solid. Plus, the Bonneville is not a terribly heavy bike.

The door insulation is Reflectix, which is basically high tech mylar bubble wrap, and under that is 1" styrofoam panels. The styrofoam is glued on and the Reflectix is held on with sheetmetl scres with washers. the sheets are 4' wide and the seams are taped with aluminum foil tape.

Looking good, Ed. :thumb

Did you have to get a DP for the addition? And where do you get that insulation?

The parking dolly was one that I got at Princess Auto (Canada's equivilant to Harbour Freight) a few years ago, haven't seen them again since. It wasn't terribly expensive, around $100 if I recall correctly. It works quite well allowing us to get the bike tucked in the space much easier than trying to manhandle it in. The ST is the low suspension version with no center stand, so the typical Park-n-move type dollys wouldn't work.

Here is a picture of it from their site archives.
8180648.jpg

Harbor Freight #95986 Currently on sale $79.99 USD

Video
I'd think the more upright position of the Park-N-Move would save more space if you have a centerstand.

you organized guys are SICKOS

8193072037_fae2b0eca6_b.jpg

i just finished assembling the harbor frieght dolly. (too tired to put a bike on it)

8180648.jpg

went together pretty nicely. seems to be well built/well designed. got short changed on a few lock washers.

Looking good, Ed. :thumb

Did you have to get a DP for the addition? And where do you get that insulation?

Rin, I did have to go through the painful process of getting a development permit. It took almost six months to get that approval - longer than it took to build the darn thing.

Back