• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike storage damage-chlorine

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

A heads up for folks storing bikes this season or for long periods any season.

Had a couple of clubmates bring their near new bikes by to have me look at them and do a service on them this week. They had not ridden much this summer due to other committments and left the bikes in an enclosed two car garage in Central Texas.

The brake rotors,exhaust pipes, most small fasteners are very rusted , the chrome on the mufflers are speckled with rust and the saddles have a dried out appearance. There was a light haze on all the exposed surfaces. The gas QC on his '06 GS at the top of tank was leaking upon trying to start as well at 18K ( coincidental maybe, but as I removed it it snapped like ten year old brittle plastic) The ones on my '05 were still hard after 30K.

I asked a few questions about the garage and they said they had left the pool chemicals in the same space unknowingly.
They said the chlorine pails were sealed tightly, but having been around chemical rooms at water treatment plants and near pools I knew that doesn't keep the product where you want it to stay. That stuff eats metal vent grates on doors in no time. Stainless steel does not stay stainless.
I walked out to the shop this AM and it smelled like chlorine was everywhere. Have all the roll up doors open this afternoon! I plan on washing the bikes...actually flushing them when I go back out there. My camera is on the fritz or I would show some of the hurt:hungover. Hopefully a little TLC and elbow grease with naval jelly will clean most of it up...the exhaust headers look the worst on the GS. The saddles will need some mink oil or something to rejuvenate the finish. One stock, the other a R Mayer.

Anyways, these folks are not clueless, just did not think it could be an issue with sealed containers. The space was not wet, but did not have any added ventilation in the heat. Food for thought as you button down for the season.

Great tip

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a pool, but my friend just had one installed this past summer. I'll pass this info along to him.

Well done, sir.

C

I don't remember exactly how the quote goes but It's something like-Chlorine is the most deadly chemical man has ever produced for day to day use. Realy worth respecting on many levels. :gerg

Years ago, one of the sailors in my division was cleaning the head using a chlorine-based cleanser. He didn't feel it was working well enough, so decided to add ammonia to the mix. I was walking by the space when I heard him coughing. I could see greenish vapors so I grabbed him and pulled him out of the space and then secured it. The damage control team went back in with Scott Air Packs to clean up the mess and ventilate the compartment. Apparently the two chemicals combined to produce Chlorine gas! Nasty stuff. The sailor was okay, fortunately because he didn't breath much of the vapors! Gotta be careful when you mix cleaners!

Damaged my R75/6

At one time I stored my R75/6 for several months in a detached garage/poolhouse structure where I kept my pool chemicals (including chlorine in tightly closed plastic pails) and wound up with significant corrosion issues. A friend of mine who lived near the ocean in Jacksonville, FL, had an old R50 that he left outdoors all year 'round. The corrosion damage his bike sustained from the salty air was nearly identical to that I experienced. If you can detect even the slightest scent of chlorine or "salt air" in your environment, either remove your bike from that environment or initiate effective corrosion control measures immediately!

We took the bikes down to the local bike wash which had the bay smelling like a pool equipment room when I hit them with water. A lot of the surface rust did come off with some effort and now naval jelly and a lot of time will be needed to clear the rest. We then aired them out for about 30 miles.

Helen said following me had her breathing in a strong chlorine presence on the way in to town and she was about 4 seconds behind, I am sure some was coming up behind the screen on the bike she was piloting, but she said it was better backing away from me.
Even after a long rinse and ride, they still are putting off vapors. Left them outside under the shop awning last night as there is a good breeze thru there right now.

Attachments

• PC010021.jpg
    PC010021.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 169
Another good reason to have a salt water pool! :D

In Baton Rouge, they call that the Gulf:stick

:D

Helen stored her Sporty on Bolivar Peninsula near Galveston one summer, it looked like these bikes in a short time:doh

Back