• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seaside, OR

B

BobMielke

Ok, so I took my first solo ride of any distance today in Oregon. I rode from my new home in Beaverton to Seaside, OR. Wow, was I impressed with the scenery. Spruce trees 100 feet high in a cathedral setting on both sides of Highway 26. My mouth was wide open for a good part of the trip. Up one mountain, down the other mountain for 60 miles each way.

Remember the scene in Crocodile Dundee where the mugger pulled out the switchblade & Dundee's companion reminded him the guy had just pulled a knife on him? He said, "That's not a knife,.....This is a knife". That's how I now feel about my old SC pine trees. Those weren't trees.......these are trees.

I think I'm gonna really love it here! :clap

Can't say we didn't tell ya'

Now when you have more time (only a two day weekend) go south to the N. California Redwoods and take a ride through Humbolt County and Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants Highway)

Glad to see you are getting out. Welcome to another part of God's Country.

Doc

(P.S. That's like listening to those other people on the East coast that say the have mountains, Hey look this ones over 4,000 feet; we call that a hill) Hehehe :p

BobMielke said:
Ok, so I took my first solo ride of any distance today in Oregon. I rode from my new home in Beaverton to Seaside, OR. Wow, was I impressed with the scenery. Spruce trees 100 feet high in a cathedral setting on both sides of Highway 26. My mouth was wide open for a good part of the trip. Up one mountain, down the other mountain for 60 miles each way.

Remember the scene in Crocodile Dundee where the mugger pulled out the switchblade & Dundee's companion reminded him the guy had just pulled a knife on him? He said, "That's not a knife,.....This is a knife". That's how I now feel about my old SC pine trees. Those weren't trees.......these are trees.

I think I'm gonna really love it here! :clap

You're going to really like exporing the entire Oregon coast, Bob! It's a very beautiful place.

Beaverton to Seaside

I am planning my longest mc trip yet and part of it is down the pacific coast.
Did you US26? What part of the ride is the best? I might want to do a little detoure and go East on US26 then 53 down to Nehalem and pick up 101 again if that is a scenic road.
Any other suggestions in the Washington, Oregon area would be appreciated!

Bob et all,
I'm over in Astoria, nex time you're going to be over this way give me a holler!
The road from Beaverton to Seaside is Hwy 26, it's a very nice road! Bob, you need to make it down to Ashland, Oregon this summer. If you are at all into Shakespear, you will love it. Even if you're not, a very nice town!
Check out this site:
Oregon Motorcycle roads
Here is THE authority on California roads:
Pashnit
Chris

The Bar-B-Q in Seaside is better than SC BBQ too....(IMHO)

Next time to Seaside, check this place out
25440305-M.jpg

Wait until you're out on the coast on a July day and you're plugging in your electrics. :ha

I really wish I had a helmet mounted camera of heads up display. Going down a twisty mountain road is no time to try & handle a camera and ride safely. I ride solo so there's no one on the back to snap them either. I'll try & figure out how to take a few & post them.

To the guy asking about Hwy 26 & other great Oregon roads I'm sure not the one to ask. Ask a local who's been here a long time. Sorry, right now my hobby's getting lost. What fun!

BobMielke said:
Sorry, right now my hobby's getting lost. What fun!

Hey Bob,
If you want some help getting lost on great roads then try the Oregon 500. It's coming up on Sat. May 13. Its a ride approx. 500 miles around Oregon or Washington. You won't know where they are going until you get there. Usually the maps and directions are for about 100 miles. Then there is a check area where you'll get the next map.

http://www.rose-city-mc.org/RCFrameset.html

There are usually around 500-600 bikes of all types on the ride. There is a three hour long start time so the bikes are pretty well spread out. I just looked at their website and its kind of lame, but I have been going on this ride every year since 1989 and I always have fun.

They also have the Grand Tour that may interest you. Its a book with about 19 checkpoints around the state. Usually accompanied be nice roads. It runs from April-1 to September 30. You look at the maps, pick where ya want to go and then ride to the destination and have the book stamped like a passport at the checkpoint. Its usually a restaurant or store of some kind.

Welcome to Oregon, just remember our motto "Electric gear, don't leave home without it." :thumb

Got out to Seaside and Cannon Beach today, see if you recognize the rock in the background (think "Truffle Shuffle"!)
Chris

67863863-M.jpg

67863904-M.jpg

threeflys said:
Got out to Seaside and Cannon Beach today, see if you recognize the rock in the background (think "Truffle Shuffle"!)
Chris

67863863-M.jpg

67863904-M.jpg

Too easy - Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach. :D

threeflys said:
You know it, Greg!

:bikes

I love that section of the Oregon Coast - actually, I love virtually all of it, but have spent many evenings walking past that rock and looking for sea critters at low tide. Beautiful place. :thumb

Back