• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any Suggestions for Handling an

Bullett

Ambulatory challenged spouse???

My husband sustained a tib-fib fracture about 8 days ago on a dual sport ride in So. Utah. I'm going crazy trying to keep him occupied while I'm at work.

Does anyone have some suggestions for keeping a "non-weight bearing" middle aged child occupied?

I already beat him at Scrabble (only once, so far), he has a laptop to access the Internet and he just got a Kindle that he seems to really enjoy.

Tomorrow, I will entertain him with an auto ride to see his orthopedic surgeon, but I'm running out of ideas to keep him occupied. Do y'all have any ideas or suggestions?

You can get Scrabble for the laptop, I found it at Staples.

I put together a marquetry table while spending 6 weeks in a full cast. I propped up the leg and worked with hand tools and table-top saws and sanders.

Those 3D puzzles are pretty time-consuming. They are printed and then stuck to foam, so it takes a lot of time to manipulate them compared to flat puzzles. Sit him in front of a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on sawhorses for a work zone.

Those are my ideas.

Playing Farmville on Facebook,,,, you create a farm, harvest crops,,,buy buildings, etc... My whole family is addicted.

Georgia

Buy a trailer, hook it behind your RT, put him in it, and take him for a ride!:D

Tom

Vicodin!:buds:brow

In all seriousness though, you will have you hands full. After a ruptured achilles tendon, I was a complete jerk after a few weeks of sitting around. Try to get him out, even if he needs to use a wheelchair. Home Depot, the mall, anything... My wife even took me to the zoo. Cabin fever is the real danger.

Don't know if this would make things better - or worse! But Whitehorse Press and Aerostich Rider Wearhouse both have a huge selection of motorcycle-related books. Good luck!

Muriel

as an avid model builder I suggest do some web hunting and find him some bmw models to pass the time not spent riding.... a 1/6 scale r75/5 and r90s are out there to be found, plus lots of other bikes in smaller scales.....

I was laid up a decade ago after a bad accident with both wrists/arms in external fixators, two broken legs, neck, ribs, shoulder, and a bunch of other fun things. I spent about 4 months in various hospitals and hospices and then was moved in to my Dad's English basement apartment. I spent another month re-learning how to stand up and then walk - walking to the bathroom on my own was a victorious day I will never forget.

Anyway, spending months on end on one's back unable to do more than sit up is excruciating - my (now) Wife spent a lot of time trying to find things to keep me occupied. Here is what worked for me :)

1. Laptop (with touchpad) - this was essential, especially early on when all I had use of was a couple fingers. Aside from the Internet there are interesting games you can get to keep the mind occupied - I liked strategy and history type games like Civilization and the Gettysburg. I also collected recipes from all the friends who brought dinners and lunches over the months and used Microsoft Publisher to create a cookbook of them, had them printed up and sent out to everyone at Christmas.

2. Audiobooks & iPod: I was unable to hold a book for any length of time and I must have burned through 40 audiobooks. They are ridiculously expensive so I took advantage of my local library's shut-in service to borrow them. I listened to them on my laptop but I am still hooked on them and use an iPod these days - importing the CDs into iTunes/iPod is easy.

3. DVD Movies: I watched them on my laptop: I must have watched Ken Burns' Civil War series three or four times. The library had an extensive collection of documentaries and video travel guides, the Hollywood movies get old very quickly.

4. Wooden Boat Models: I built five of them. It is pretty exacting work and uses only white glue (no fumes), sandpaper and an exacto knife. The first one I got as a gift and really had no interest in it, I started it out of boredom and found it to be really engaging work that ate up a lot of time. Here is where I got them. I used a thick piece of cardboard from a TV box as a work surface, kept everything clean and organized.

Hope he gets better quick! And for what it is worth, I bounced back pretty well and started riding again years ago.

I vote for a roll-around shop stool, and all of the Meguires shiny products available. Add in sponges, brushes, cloths, etc. and he can have fun.

When he gets a little stronger and more sure of himself, move a tool box full of sockets, wrenches, drivers, pliers, and about a bushel of wire ties within reach.

A guy ought to take advantage of some downtime, you know. :)

Believe it or not, with two broken legs (don't ask) I kept my gym membership.
My sister would put me in the car and take me to the gym. I could do some upper body weights,
but the REAL benefit was that they had a PRIMO handicapped shower.
At home, it was a tight fit in the bathroom, and a lot of cleanup after.
At the gym, there was a "drive-in" tiled shower with grab bars and a full size bench.
Oh, and the hand-held shower head!
I would go during quiet periods midmorning and spa out in the shower.

You need to get him into a routine- a coffeeshop visit in the morning for the paper and a cuppa,
then maybe a crutch around the block or a park, then lunch, maybe the gym, then a bookshop,
museum or library visit.
In bad weather, we'd go do a few laps around a big box store or a mall.
We also went with the deluxe Netflix membership, and I watched BBC and Masterpiece Theatre series
and streamed movies on my laptop.

Get him a laptop and an internet connection and I have just one suggestion.
SIP.
Or maybe jigsaw puzzles are more his speed?

Good physical therapy makes all the difference as you progress through the different stages of hardware. Walking with crutches, even when you are allowed no weight-bearing on the injured leg, doesn't involve the armpits, if you are taught correctly. I know this, I've had to relearn to walk three times.

Once he is using crutches, get two things: a little kids sand bucket that swings easily and a robe or apron with large patch pockets. The bucket works as follows: load it with the soda, beer, sandwich, etc, then grasp the bail and the handlebar of the crutch together with the bucket hanging on the outside of the crutch. Now you can travel across the room carrying what you want, and if the beer already is opened, it swings a bit but stays pretty level and won't slop. The reason for the additional pockets is pretty obvious.

I killed a lot of time doing the at-home part of the physical therapy exercises: two or three hours in the morning and two or three in the evening.

Take him to the pediatric ward of your local hospital or to the Childrens hospital in the area and perhaps he would like to read some stories to the sick kids.

Back