• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650GS or KLR650?

gftl91

I am sure that this subject has been beaten to death before, but I am new here so please bear with me.

I am trying to find out the pros and cons of the F650 GS versus the KLR650.

I know that the KLR is less expensive. Is it a case of you get what you pay for?

My riding will mostly be on pavement with mild trail riding and some gravel roads. I will be commuting about 100 miles round trip a couple of times a week as well. The commute will be mostly on four lane highway.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matter of Taste

I have a 2001 Dakar and my buddy bought a KLR 1 month before I got my bike. For the dirt you are talking about the BMW will be as good or better than the KLR. On the highway the BMW is much more settled at speed. The KLR feels really light in the front end and suffers more from the wind blast from trucks. My buddy has put more money in to accessories and maint in 12K than I have in 25K on the BMW. The new BMW, since 2001 get much better mileage. On the recent trip we took from Michigan to the Chaingang rally in Mena AK, I got about 60mpg vs 45 on the KLR.
The only plus to me on the KLR is the bigger gas tank. The main reason I bought the BMW at the time was the dealer took a trade and I couldn't stand that Army green in 2001. The red combo on the new KLR lookls much better. Hope that helps. Also there are a lot of used classics out there now with low mileage and for about the price of a new KLR.

Thanks for the input. The web sites have some very good info.

I agree about the KLR color schemes. The one I was looking at was a 2003 OD green. I think that the BMW definitely looks better.

Have you had any FI problems? I have heard about a lot of surging issues. I have a '94 R1100RS and have not noticed it, but it is supposed to be a problem on it as well. The local dealer has a 2001 Dakar with Jesse bags for $6500 and a 1999 F650 with BMW side and top cases for $5500. The mileages are 7K and 19K respectively. Does that sound decent?

Thanks again.

No FI problems on my 03 F650GS and I have 4500 miles on it.

The 01 Dakar with bags sounds like a decent deal. The Jesse's are just a hair over $1000 with the mounts. Used they go for $500-800 IF you can find used ones. I would think $5500-6000 would be a good deal on that bike. You can ride it and see if it surges. If it does there are many that have used a different plug and that seems to cure most of the surge if not all.

Overall I love my F650. It can cruise at 90mph all day if you want and still handle moderate offroad stuff if your skilled enough to ride it. Fireroads, 4x4 trails, etc are no problems.

Good luck!

I had a KLR600. I've been loaned a F650. Both were fun. The KLR has been around forever. The F650 is more complicated and expensive. Except for a few documented problems both are bulletproof. So.... test ride each and pick the one more suited to your riding style. There are a lot of aftermarket things you may or maynot want to do to the KLR. That might raise the price closer to the F650. Guess that didn't help much.

MarkF

I bought my used 99 f-650 with 10,500 miles it had touratech panniers and a bmw top case, heated grips and Rich's custom seat I got it for $5,500.

Frank

www.f650.com?

Anyone know what's going on with this website? It's been down for the last couple of days.
Chris

Re: www.f650.com?

threeflys said:
Anyone know what's going on with this website? It's been down for the last couple of days.
Chris

Its up. I was just there. I was on it yesterday or the day before as well.

Not sure whats up!

Re: www.f650.com?

threeflys said:
Chris

FWIW, the forum software doesn't work well with IE on a Mac. And not at all on any system <9

Thanks

I got it to work, I had to clean out my cache. I do have a Mac and I hate it! But, it was free from my wife's school.
Chris

Back