• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

98 r1200c swing arm

RapidRoadRescue

I'm in process of removing trans out of 1200c due to seal that fail and in need of replacement.
Did many k bikes but this one has swing arm cover with 4 small bolts ( right side of the bike) that I'm not sure how to remove. Left side should be no issues.

I need to find out how to remove that cover.

Any input please.

Martin.

If you need real help, join us at www.Chromeheads.org, the largest site for owners of R1200C's, where many of our members have done complete tranny swaps, and can help you with step-by-step instructions, and save you lots of time and aggravation with what you're about to get into.
Hope to see you there.
~Rocketman~

Otherwise, loosen and remove the 3 outside right fixed pivot pin bolts and screw a bolt into the center hole. Use a slide hammer to pull out the pivot pin. It will look like this when its out.

Remember, you will have to loosen the other side, as there is a pre-load on the swing arm that is administered from the left side. You can take out the left side and loosen the left side. Replace your new right side, replace the cap and replace bolts in the right side. the center pin in the left side torques to (I think) 7N and the large nut to (I know for sure) 160N. The 7N places a pre-load on the bearings and the nut makes sure everything stays put.

Each side has a separate bearing but the swing arm acts as the joining mechanism and will require you at least loosen the other side as there is pressure applied. The right side is the easy side, this side is first set in place and tightened. The other side is the side that controls the amount of tension that is applied to the bearings. If you don't first loosen that side, the bearings may be under-loaded (causing handling problems) or over tight (causing premature bearing failure).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 45
Also, if your transmission output shaft seal is leaking, I don't think you have to pull the tranny out to replace just the seal.

Back